How Do I Handle These Physics Motion Problems?

• Thread starter YoungOn3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary, the conversation discusses various problems related to motion and conversion between different units of measurement. The first question involves converting Km/h to m/s and vice versa. The second question asks for the time taken for a car to travel a certain distance with given velocity and displacement. The third question deals with the acceleration of a batmobile as it slows down, while the fourth question requires calculating the acceleration of an airplane and describing its motion. The final question involves finding the initial velocity of a speedboat given its acceleration and final velocity. The conversation also mentions a link to a website that provides conversion factors and assistance with motion formulas.
YoungOn3
How can I convert the following:
45.2 Km/h into m/s
30.5 m/s into km/h

- A car moves at 18 m/s [E] and experiences a displacement of 450 m [ E]. How long did this trip take?

How can I solve these?

- A batmobile is moving with a constant velocity toward the north. Batman decides to slow down. In what direction will his acceleration be?

-An airplane accelerates from 82 m/s [E] to 95 m/s [E] in 6.5 seconds.
>Calculate the acceleration of the airplane.
>Write a sentence that descrives this motion

-A speedboat accelerates at 4.80 m/s(squared) [N] and reaches a final velocity of 32.6 m/s(squared) [N] in 2.31 s. What was the initial velocity of the boat?

If you guys know any websites that can help me look at motion formulas like velocity, displacement, acceleration, vectors...scales... explaining how to do them please post

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The latter problems can very easily be solved using only intuition. However, if your intuition isn't helping you a whole lot, you can always solve this by dimensional analysis.

Below you'll find a link to a page with a listing of a lot of conversion factors. These should help with the first two of your questions.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001729.html

YoungOn3 said:
How can I convert the following:
45.2 Km/h into m/s
30.5 m/s into km/h

- A car moves at 18 m/s [E] and experiences a displacement of 450 m [ E]. How long did this trip take?

How can I solve these?

- A batmobile is moving with a constant velocity toward the north. Batman decides to slow down. In what direction will his acceleration be?

-An airplane accelerates from 82 m/s [E] to 95 m/s [E] in 6.5 seconds.
>Calculate the acceleration of the airplane.
>Write a sentence that descrives this motion

-A speedboat accelerates at 4.80 m/s(squared) [N] and reaches a final velocity of 32.6 m/s(squared) [N] in 2.31 s. What was the initial velocity of the boat?

If you guys know any websites that can help me look at motion formulas like velocity, displacement, acceleration, vectors...scales... explaining how to do them please post

Thanks

Last edited:

To convert Km/h to m/s, we can use the conversion factor of 1 km/h = 0.2778 m/s. So, 45.2 Km/h = 45.2 x 0.2778 = 12.55 m/s. Similarly, to convert m/s to km/h, we can use the conversion factor of 1 m/s = 3.6 km/h. So, 30.5 m/s = 30.5 x 3.6 = 109.8 km/h.

To solve the given problem, we can use the formula: Time = Distance/Velocity. Plugging in the given values, we get: Time = 450 m/18 m/s = 25 seconds. Therefore, the trip took 25 seconds.

When Batman slows down, his acceleration will be in the opposite direction of his velocity, which in this case is towards the south.

To calculate the acceleration of the airplane, we can use the formula: Acceleration = (Final Velocity - Initial Velocity)/Time. Plugging in the given values, we get: Acceleration = (95 m/s - 82 m/s)/6.5 seconds = 2 m/s(squared). This means that the airplane's velocity is increasing by 2 m/s every second.

The initial velocity of the boat can be calculated using the formula: Final Velocity = Initial Velocity + Acceleration x Time. Plugging in the given values, we get: 32.6 m/s = Initial Velocity + 4.80 m/s(squared) x 2.31 seconds. Solving for Initial Velocity, we get: Initial Velocity = 32.6 m/s - 4.80 m/s(squared) x 2.31 seconds = 21.5 m/s.

Websites such as Khan Academy and Physics Classroom can provide helpful explanations and examples of motion formulas and concepts. It is also recommended to consult a physics textbook or consult with a physics teacher for further clarification and practice.

What is the formula for converting km/h into m/s?

The formula for converting km/h into m/s is to divide the speed in km/h by 3.6. This will give you the speed in m/s.

How do I convert km/h into m/s?

To convert km/h into m/s, you can either use a calculator and divide the speed in km/h by 3.6, or you can use the conversion formula: m/s = km/h ÷ 3.6.

What is the conversion rate for km/h to m/s?

The conversion rate for km/h to m/s is 3.6. This means that for every 1 km/h, there is 3.6 m/s.

Can I convert m/s into km/h?

Yes, you can convert m/s into km/h by multiplying the speed in m/s by 3.6. This will give you the speed in km/h.

Why do we need to convert km/h into m/s?

Km/h and m/s are two different units of speed and are commonly used in different regions of the world. Converting between the two units allows for easier comparison and understanding of speed measurements. Additionally, some scientific calculations and formulas may require the use of one specific unit, so conversion may be necessary.