Converting km/hr to m/s^2: What is the Formula?

• Thread starter ATranPV
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary, the conversation was about converting 83km/hr to m/s^2. The attempt at a solution was provided, but there was confusion about whether the conversion was meant to be for speed or velocity. Ultimately, it was determined that the question may have been a typo and the correct answer was m/s, not m/s^2.
ATranPV

Homework Statement

Convert 83km/hr to m/s^2

Homework Equations

Simple I know...but I still can't figure it out

The Attempt at a Solution

83km/hr(10^3m/km)(1hr/60min)(1min/60sec)

The units cancel however leaving me with m/s not with m/s^2.

The seconds^2 is what I cannot figure out.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't convert km/hr to m/s^2.

83 km/hr is not acceleration, it is a speed. Your answer is right. Are you sure that is what they want?

Yah, m/s^2 is an acceleration, km/hr is a velocity. Must be a typo

Peng, isn't it supposed to be speed instead of velocity? Velocity has a specified direction.

Really? Must be a typo then...good to know that I'm not missing something obvious!

Ivan92 said:
Peng, isn't it supposed to be speed instead of velocity? Velocity has a specified direction.

Sigh...

Doesn't matter. Don't troll.

Pengwuino said:
Sigh...

Doesn't matter. Don't troll.

Shame on you peng :frown:

I'll have a field day on this tomorrow on chat :biggrin:

1. How do I convert kilometers per hour to meters per second squared?

To convert km/hr to m/s^2, you need to use the formula m/s^2 = (km/hr * 1000) / (3600)^2. This will give you the acceleration in meters per second squared.

2. Why do we need to convert km/hr to m/s^2?

Kilometers per hour (km/hr) is a unit of speed, while meters per second squared (m/s^2) is a unit of acceleration. We may need to convert between these units when working with physics or engineering problems that involve acceleration.

3. What is the conversion factor for km/hr to m/s^2?

The conversion factor for km/hr to m/s^2 is (km/hr * 1000) / (3600)^2. This takes into account the different units of measurement and converts speed to acceleration.

4. Can I use a calculator to convert km/hr to m/s^2?

Yes, you can use a calculator to convert km/hr to m/s^2 by using the formula m/s^2 = (km/hr * 1000) / (3600)^2. You can also find online converters or use a spreadsheet program to make the conversion.

5. Is there a difference between km/hr and m/s^2?

Yes, there is a difference between km/hr and m/s^2. Km/hr is a unit of speed, while m/s^2 is a unit of acceleration. This means that km/hr measures how fast an object is moving, while m/s^2 measures the rate at which an object's velocity is changing.