1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convert MeV to reactions/s ?

1. Dec 12, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Basically, I pretty much solved the problem I am working on. The fusion reaction I am working with is 2_1_H + 3_1_H --> 4_1_He + 1_0_n, and I determined the energy the reaction releases to be 17.5708 MeV. What I need to figure out now is how many of these reactions must occur per second to produce a power output of 15 MW.

2. Relevant equations

I was looking through the chapter and could not figure out which equations I can put together to solve this. But I did use E = deltam x c^2 to get my answer of 17.5708 MeV.

3. The attempt at a solution

I could not determine how to set up my work for this problem after going through the chapter. I was thinking of using the conversion factor for Curies, but I did not think it was relevant to my problem I am solving.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Dec 12, 2006 #3
    This gave me an answer of 5.3356 x 10^18 reactions/s. Got it right. Thanks!
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?