How many reactions per second are needed to produce a power output of 15 MW?

• Thread starter FlipStyle1308
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary, the problem involves determining the number of fusion reactions per second needed to produce a power output of 15 MW. The energy released by each reaction is 17.5708 MeV, which can be converted to joules. Dividing the power output by the energy released per reaction gives a result of 5.3356 x 10^18 reactions per second.
FlipStyle1308

Homework Statement

Basically, I pretty much solved the problem I am working on. The fusion reaction I am working with is 2_1_H + 3_1_H --> 4_1_He + 1_0_n, and I determined the energy the reaction releases to be 17.5708 MeV. What I need to figure out now is how many of these reactions must occur per second to produce a power output of 15 MW.

Homework Equations

I was looking through the chapter and could not figure out which equations I can put together to solve this. But I did use E = deltam x c^2 to get my answer of 17.5708 MeV.

The Attempt at a Solution

I could not determine how to set up my work for this problem after going through the chapter. I was thinking of using the conversion factor for Curies, but I did not think it was relevant to my problem I am solving.

Physics news on Phys.org
chroot said:
MeV is a unit of energy, which can be readily converted into joules.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=17.5708+MeV+in+joules&btnG=Google+Search

Next, since you need 15 MW of power, you need 15 million joules per second.

15 million joules per second, divided by the energy released by each reaction in joules, will give you reactions per second.

- Warren
This gave me an answer of 5.3356 x 10^18 reactions/s. Got it right. Thanks!

Last edited:

1. How do you convert MeV to reactions/s?

To convert MeV (Mega electron volts) to reactions/s (reactions per second), you can use the formula:
Reactions/s = MeV / (energy per reaction)
The energy per reaction varies depending on the specific reaction being measured. This conversion is commonly used in nuclear physics and particle physics to measure the rate of nuclear reactions or particle interactions.

2. What is the energy per reaction for MeV?

The energy per reaction for MeV depends on the type of reaction being measured. For example, in nuclear reactions, the energy per reaction is typically around 1 MeV. In particle interactions, the energy per reaction can range from a few MeV to several hundred MeV.

3. Can MeV be converted to reactions/s for all types of reactions?

Yes, MeV can be converted to reactions/s for any type of reaction as long as the energy per reaction is known. However, this conversion is most commonly used in nuclear and particle physics.

4. Is there a difference between MeV and MeV/c²?

Yes, there is a difference between MeV (Mega electron volts) and MeV/c² (Mega electron volts per speed of light squared). MeV measures energy, while MeV/c² measures mass. They are related through Einstein's famous equation E=mc², where c is the speed of light.

5. Why is it important to convert MeV to reactions/s?

Converting MeV to reactions/s is important in nuclear and particle physics because it allows scientists to measure and understand the rate of nuclear reactions and particle interactions. This information is crucial in studying the behavior of subatomic particles and the fundamental forces of nature.