Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convert relative to global

1. Sep 2, 2009 #1
    could any one help me ?
    i know global position of three flag for example (10,20,30)
    and i have my distance , phi and theta to flags .
    could any one helping me find my position ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "three flags"? You give the position, (10, 20, 30) of one point. But knowing the coordinates of a single point and your position relative to that point is sufficient. Your x, y, z coordinates, taking that one point as origin are x= [itex]\rho cos(\theta) sin(\phi)[/itex], y= [itex]\rho sin(\theta) sin(\phi)[/itex] and z= [itex]\rho cos(\phi)[/itex]. Your x, y, z "global" coordinates, relative to the same coordinate system in which your point is (10, 20, 30) are x= [itex]\rho cos(\theta) sin(\phi)+ 10[/itex], y= [itex]\rho sin(\theta) sin(\phi)+ 20[/itex] and z= [itex]\rho cos(\phi)+ 30[/itex], a simple translation.

I am assuming here that your "[itex]\theta[/itex]" and "[itex]\phi[/itex] are relative to the "global" coordinate system. If not, you might need three points and would need to specify how [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] are measured.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook