1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convert this please

1. Feb 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I had an exam conversion problem:

A position vector (between the origin and point (5,2,3) is expressed as r = 5x+2y+3z. Express this vector in cylindrical coordinates.

row = SQRT(5^2 + 2^2) = 5.385

Fie = tan-1(2/5) = 21.8 degrees

Z = Z.

This was a multiple choice test and the answers were:

A) r=2.232r+0.134(theta)+3(fie)
    B) r=0.5(row)-0.866(fie)+3z
    C) r=5.385(row)+3z
    D) None of the above

I chose D, because the correct value of fie is not there and A is sypherical.. But, I got it wrong and the correct answer is said to be C.

I wanted to check with you guys first before going to the professor but is there something I missed??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could argue that when setting up the coordinates you have the freedom to choose [itex]\phi = 0[/itex] at that point, although I agree that it is rather unusual... normally one takes [itex]\phi = 0[/itex] for points on the x-axis. If you are not sure however, I suggest you go see your professor anyway; the least he can do is explain why the answer should be C and why he thinks you are wrong.

By the way, [itex]\rho[/itex] is called "rho" and [itex]\phi[/itex] is "phi", just like [itex]\pi[/itex] is spelled "pi" instead of "pie" :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?