Converting Complex Impedance to Euler Form: Is it Applicable to Just Cos?

In summary, when converting from trigonometric form to Euler form, one takes the real part and leaves out the imaginary part.
wateveriam
1. I have a complex Ohm question in which u(t) is given as Umax*[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]cos([itex]\varpi[/itex]+[itex]\varphi[/itex]), i know how to convert from trigo to euler form if i have both sin and cos but this doesn't. Is it possible to convert just a cos to Euler form ?

3. Since it is a complex impedance i tried to reason that if we calculate the rms intensity we simply take the real part and leave out the imaginary part, so i by-part the conversion. Is it ok to do that ?

Physics news on Phys.org
cos(ωt +φ) = Re[ei(ωt +φ)]. One calculates with the exponential form, then takes the real part of the result to get the average power, and it comes out that the rms voltage or current is 1/√2 times of the amplitude of the exponential form.

ehild

Thank you, i understand now, so the given formula gives the numerical result of the Urms and the imaginary part is implied from the angle?

I do not get you. In the original formula, the time dependence should be U(t) = Umax cos (ωt+φ), and Umax =√2*Urms. The Euler form is U0ei(ωt+φ), with U0=Umax.

ehild

Oh i meant i(t) = cos(ωt+φ) + j*sin(ωt+φ) so the imaginary part of i(t) is j*sin(ωt+φ) so for U=Ri(t), we take the real part and get U = R*cos(ωt+φ) and hence the imaginary part is implied by (ωt+φ), i.e, it is not written out but we can easily get it to be j*sin(ωt+φ). Is that not correct ?

It is about right, but the imaginary part is defined as sin(ωt+φ), without j. But it is multiplied by j when you write the trigonometric form of the complex number. Any complex number is of the form

z=x + j*y, x is called the real part and y the imaginary part.

ehild

Thank you i handed in the work yesterday and it seems i somehow got it right, if only the numerical values. Cheers :D

1. What is the conversion formula for converting from trigonometric form to Euler form?

The conversion formula for converting from trigonometric (polar) form to Euler (rectangular) form is: z = r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the magnitude (or modulus) of the complex number and θ is the angle (or argument) in radians.

2. How is the magnitude of a complex number determined in trigonometric form?

The magnitude of a complex number in trigonometric form is determined by finding the length of the hypotenuse in a right triangle formed by the real and imaginary parts of the complex number. It is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem: r = √(a² + b²), where a and b are the real and imaginary parts, respectively.

3. Can a complex number have a negative magnitude in Euler form?

No, a complex number cannot have a negative magnitude in Euler form. The magnitude is always a positive real number, as it represents the distance from the origin to the point on the complex plane.

4. What is the advantage of converting a complex number from trigonometric to Euler form?

Converting a complex number from trigonometric to Euler form can make it easier to perform mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It also allows for a clearer representation of the complex number in the rectangular form, making it easier to interpret and work with.

5. Can complex numbers be represented in both trigonometric and Euler forms simultaneously?

Yes, complex numbers can be represented in both trigonometric and Euler forms simultaneously. This is known as the polar form, where the magnitude and angle of the complex number are shown together as (r, θ). It is useful when solving equations involving complex numbers, as it allows for easy conversion between the two forms.