Converting State Vectors for Solar System Bodies

In summary, the problem is that the state vectors are in the J2000 epoch frame, and you need to convert them to the TDB (UT is also fine) choosen epoch, correcting for precession and nutation. You can get x,y,z & xdot, ydot, zdot for any solar system object for any epoch from JPL Horizons system. If this solves your problem, let me know.
kepler
Hi,

I have sort of a problem: I have a routine to calculate the geometric place ( the state vector ) of the bodies in our solar system ( from Paul Heafner - you probably know it ). But the problem is that the results are referred to the J2000 epoch frame. I was trying to convert the vector [x,y,z,vx,vy,vz ] from the J2000 epoch to the TDB (UT is also fine) choosen epoch, correcting the values for precession and nutation, getting [ x',y',z',vx',vy',vz' ]; and then, convert the result vector to the ecliptic plane, obtaining a new vector [ x",y",z",vx",vy",vz" ]. Does someone knows the routines to make this calculation? Or, at least, this final conversion?

Please answer as soon as possible - this is very urgent.

Kind regards,

Kepler

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm just guessing here, but won't the state vectors automatically be in the same reference plane as the orbital elements that served as your input? Or are you using visual positions such as RA and DEC as your input rather than orbital elements? Although you'd also need distance if you were to it this way. Orbital elements are usually referred to in reference to the ecliptic where z is up and down, and x or y (I forget) points to the Vernal Equinox. So precession of Earth's axis won't play a role here.

Also, I don't know if this helps, but you can get x,y,z & xdot, ydot, zdot for any solar system object for any epoch from JPL Horizons system. If this solves your problem and you want me to show you how, let me know.

kepler said:
Hi,

I have sort of a problem: I have a routine to calculate the geometric place ( the state vector ) of the bodies in our solar system ( from Paul Heafner - you probably know it ). But the problem is that the results are referred to the J2000 epoch frame. I was trying to convert the vector [x,y,z,vx,vy,vz ] from the J2000 epoch to the TDB (UT is also fine) choosen epoch, correcting the values for precession and nutation, getting [ x',y',z',vx',vy',vz' ]; and then, convert the result vector to the ecliptic plane, obtaining a new vector [ x",y",z",vx",vy",vz" ]. Does someone knows the routines to make this calculation? Or, at least, this final conversion?

Please answer as soon as possible - this is very urgent.

Kind regards,

Kepler
You're dealing here with coordinate transformations. I know how to do coordinate transformations - and so, probably, do you. What you need to know, first, is the specific angles by which to rotate from the unprimed coordinates to the primed coordinates (to account for precession and nutation), and then rotate again from the corrected celestial coordinates to the ecliptic coordinates at your epoch, then vector subtract to translate your coordinate origin from geocentric to heliocentric.

I don't have the numbers in front of me for precession and nutation. Indeed, I doubt those numbers are anywhere in my hillbilly cabin. But the Astronomical Almanac should have them.

Jerry Abbott

The vectors and it's tranformation

Hi again,

I've solved basically all the problems I posted in this thread. Some information came in specific books, other was calculated with a piece of paper and a pencil from scratch...I now have several routines that work directly with State Vector, given the position [x,y,z], the velocity [vx,vy.vz], and the factor GM ( or Mu ). All the tests I've made are correct an consistent with other sources - except for the system Earth-Moon.
The value of the vectors are, for 1/1/2000, 12h00:

x = -0.0019490056;
y = -0.0018384464;
z = 0.0002424016;
vx = 0.0003717380;
vy = -0.0004221159;
vz = -0.0000066657;

In my main routine I used simplified values; for instance: the value of GM is taken to be equal to Mu = GaussK * GaussK * ( 1 + massp ) - simplified way - where GaussK is the Gaussian constant (0.01720209895) and massp is the mass of the planet divided by the mass of the sun ( for earth, massp = 1/328900.56, for example, as you know).

But for the Earth-Moon system, in proportion, GM should be equal to Mu = 0.07436680 * 0.07436680 * (1 + 0.012300034).

The problem is that certain values come ridiculous, like the eccentricity: 0.999...etc instead of ~0.0549!

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Kepler

Last edited:

1. What is a state vector?

A state vector is a mathematical representation of a physical system that describes its current state, including its position, velocity, and other relevant properties. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model and analyze complex systems.

2. Why would you need to convert a state vector?

There are a few reasons why you might need to convert a state vector. One common reason is to change the coordinate system in which the vector is expressed, such as converting from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates. Another reason is to transform the vector from one reference frame to another, such as converting from a stationary frame to a moving frame.

3. What are the most common methods for converting a state vector?

The most common methods for converting a state vector are matrix operations and vector algebra. Matrix operations involve multiplying the state vector by a transformation matrix that maps the vector from one coordinate system or reference frame to another. Vector algebra involves using mathematical equations and formulas to convert the vector's components from one form to another.

4. Can a state vector be converted to any coordinate system or reference frame?

In theory, a state vector can be converted to any coordinate system or reference frame. However, in practice, the conversion may be limited by factors such as computational power and accuracy. Additionally, some coordinate systems or reference frames may not be suitable for certain types of systems, so it is important to carefully consider the transformation before attempting to convert a state vector.

5. Are there any limitations to converting a state vector?

There are a few potential limitations to converting a state vector. One limitation is that the transformation may introduce errors or inaccuracies, which can affect the accuracy of the vector's representation of the system. Another limitation is that complex systems may require multiple transformations to fully convert the state vector, which can be time-consuming and computationally intensive.