Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting amperage to voltage

1. May 18, 2009 #1
    Does anyone know of a way to convert AC amperage to voltage? I need a way to do this so I can use normal electronical components instead of having to design my own.

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2009 #2

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By the title of this thread I can tell you need to learn a bit about electricity. Current flowing through a resistor develops a voltage across the resistor. One of the first things taught in electronics. Not sure what you mean by 'designing your own components'. Tell us what your project is please.

4. May 18, 2009 #3
  5. May 18, 2009 #4
    Ohmage.

Claude

6. May 20, 2009 #5
    You could see a current to voltage converter op-amp design

7. May 21, 2009 #6
    Also, a Hall effect current sensor could be used. Allegro has many of them.

Claude

8. Jun 3, 2009 #7
    I guess what I mean by designing my own components is that i could just buy what i need instead of hunting to the wastes of Egypt and back to find one that uses a amp based power source.

I know that almost every type of component uses about the same volt and amp per componenet "class" but when going to a different "class" it only really affects voltage with minimal if any amp change. I also believe the reason for that is that amp level is the only range for best possible human safety.

I'm not really worried about human safety because I plan on grounding all metal that can be touched (within reason).

9. Jun 3, 2009 #8

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

See my previous post.

10. Jun 3, 2009 #9
    So am I not correct in assuming it's only harder not near impossible to find components that run off of higher amps then volts?

11. Jun 3, 2009 #10

vk6kro

Science Advisor

You vanished a couple of weeks ago.

While you are on line please explain what you are trying to do.

Re: converting amperage to voltage
    So am I not correct in assuming it's only harder not near impossible to find components that run off of higher amps then volts?

Do you mean low resistance circuitry? Or what?
    You can have low voltage circuits that use more current but we need to know exactly what you are talking about.

12. Jun 3, 2009 #11
    Ok. I guess I've reached the point to where I have to give up a few details. I'm working on a generator. The problem is it provides higher amps and lower volts. I'm also planning on using this for mainly five different types of components, one being an electric motor. I'm not wanting to have the amp-volt converter be built into the generator so I can pull straight to the motor. I am willing to let the efficiency drop to the other components because they are not so performance important. Does that help?

13. Jun 3, 2009 #12

vk6kro

Science Advisor

This is not a time to be secretive.

You still haven't said what you are trying to do or what sort of generator it is. What is driving it?

It is low voltage (but how low and is it AC or DC?) and it can deliver a lot of current (but how much current?).

BUT what do you actually want to do with it? You want to run 5 different sorts of components off it, but what are they and what is their total function?

You will just get a lot of irrelevant replies or no replies if you don't explain in detail what you are trying to do.

14. Jun 4, 2009 #13
    I already stated that one component was an electric motor. the other 4 run off typical ac house power (110-220v). I'm not finished with the generator but it provides an unknown amount of AC current.(reson: im still in the designing stages. I havent been able to build it yet.)

And I'm sorry that I'm being secretive but I've been hurt in the past by others stealing my ideas.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  15. Jun 4, 2009 #14

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It would help if you learned a bit more about electricity. Then you could answer your own questions like this, or at least could ask the questions using standard terminology. Right now, we are having to guess and try to parse what you are asking, so the process is much more drawn out and painful than it needs to be.

Your statement "it provides higher amps and lower volts" makes no sense. Higher and lower with respect to what? Do you mean it does not produce AC Mains voltages, and that's what you want to convert the output to? Is the output DC or AC? If AC, just use a transformer to step up the voltage to 110Vrms. If DC, use an inverter or a DC motor to AC generator converter.

16. Jun 4, 2009 #15

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I smell a perpetual motion machine here. When someone new comes to this forum, has some plan for some machine that they do not want to reveal too much information on, and doesn't seem to have a firm grasp on electricity it usually ends up as an attempt at an overunity device. So tell us KelSolarr, whaddaya got?

17. Jun 6, 2009 #16
    Well I guess someone around here has common sense. As for what do I have, and learning about electronics, read my blog.

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=1012 [Broken]

Again I appologize to anyone who can't or won't help me because of this. I "have a grasp" on electroinics, it's just varying on what part of it. And I do keep up on current or new technologies (like those trying to use graphine for near atom-transistors to use in computers that should speed them up by x10). I grasp theories and theoretical equations really well. I believe thats part of my problem with this. And other basic questions I have.

And maybe I should try refrazing my initial question. I have AC "generator" providing very high amperage. How do I get it limited or stabilized so I can use home powered electronics off of this generator?

I use "generator" because I do already know that you cannot "create" energy, just change the form. Like wind powered generators goes from wind energy and converts it to electrical energy.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  18. Jun 6, 2009 #17
    I also have a side question. Am I correct in remembering that Amperage is the frequency (lenght) of the wave and Voltage is the size (height) of the wave?

19. Jun 6, 2009 #18

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

So your generator produces power at a low AC voltage, but can supply lots of current. Fine. Is the output voltage reasonably constant? If so, then a transformer can be used to step the voltage up to AC Mains levels.

If the output of your generator is not a constant AC voltage, then it will take a more complicated circuit. Probably the most efficient would be to full-wave rectify the low AC output voltage, and follow that with an AC inverter circuit.

You need to be careful working with AC Mains voltages (110Vrms in the US), because of the shock and fire hazards. Please learn a lot more about electrical safety before messing with AC Mains voltges. Please also be aware that you cannot run off of street power and local power at the same time (generally). You should google "cogeneration of electricity" for more info, and check with your local electric utility company to find out what their policies are for cogeneration.

EDIT -- BTW, what frequency is the AC output of your generator? Is is constant? If it is anything other than a constant 60Hz (or 50Hz, whatever your local utility uses and what your house appliances are expecting), then you will need to go with the rectification and inverter power conversion.

20. Jun 6, 2009 #19

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the voltage is too low to power normal household electronics, a simple step-up transformer is what you need. I'm assuming the frequency is reasonably close to mains frequency -- if not, then that is a problem.

Have you actually built this device, or is it in the design phase?

21. Jun 6, 2009 #20

vk6kro

Science Advisor

I also have a side question. Am I correct in remembering that Amperage is the frequency (lenght) of the wave and Voltage is the size (height) of the wave?

Voltage is the height of the AC signal. If you were looking at a sinewave, you might measure the difference in "height" between the top and the bottom of the sinewave. This is called the "peak to peak voltage".

Frequency is the number of sinewaves that happen each second.

Amperage is NOT the same as frequency. It is an old term that refers to current capability.
    Current is a flow of electrons that flow when a voltage is placed across a resistor. The unit of current is the AMP.

So, a few examples.
    Keys on a piano correspond to higher frequencies as you move to the right of the keyboard. That is they produce more oscillations each second.

A flashlight bulb would get a voltage of 3 volts and it would draw a current of about 0.3 amps if it had two batteries in it.
    A headlamp bulb in a car would get 12 volts supplied to it and it might draw 6 amps of current. In these cases the frequency would be zero because the voltage is constant DC.

Did you know you can send Personal Mail on this Forum if you want to keep something more secret? Just click on a nickname (like VK6KRO) and look for the private message part.

Nobody can design something for you unless you can tell them what voltage you have, how much current it can deliver into a suitable load and what voltage you want and what load it has to supply.
    If you have been confusing amperage with frequency, maybe you know the frequency of your generator?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook