How do I convert 1.2atm to N/m^2 when solving for gas work?

In summary, the conversation revolves around converting 1.2atm to N/m^2. The asker has already calculated the work produced by the gas using the Isobaric Expansion Work formula and is now trying to convert atm into N/m^2. The moderator suggests using the conversion factor of 1atm=1,013x10^5 N/m^2 and provides additional conversions for reference. The asker is looking for a manual way to convert and is given an example of long multiplication by 1.2.
HazyMan
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

My homework says: Gas with a volume of 0.004m^3 is heated with a steady pressure of 1,2atm until the volume turns into 0.006m^3. Calculate the work that the gas produces (Given: 1atm=1,013x10^5 N/m^2).

I used the Isobaric Expansion Work formula W=p(V2-V1) and i managed to get to W=1,2atm x 0.002m^3, however atm and m^3 are not in the same system. I am trying to convert 1.2atm into N/m^2 but i can't find anything on the internet, so i came here asking for help. Where can i find a guide to do this conversion? Is it even possible, is it needed to convert to Pa instead?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1 Pa = 1 N/m2
1 atm = 1.01325 bar
1 bar = 105 Pa

Likes DrClaude
HazyMan said:
(Given: 1atm=1,013x10^5 N/m^2)
I am trying to convert atm into N/m^2
It looks to me as if you had answered your own question before asking it.

[Personally, being an ancient U.S. relic, I'd have taken 14.7 pounds per square inch, converted pounds to kilograms-force to Newtons and square inches to square meters]

Likes DrClaude
jbriggs444 said:
It looks to me as if you had answered your own question before asking it.
i'm trying to convert 1,2atm into N/m^2. not 1atm.

HazyMan said:
i'm trying to convert 1,2atm into N/m^2. not 1atm.
Most calculators give you the ability to multiply by 1,2

jbriggs444 said:
Most calculators give you the ability to multiply by 1,2
i know, i'd just like to do it manually.

HazyMan said:
i know, i'd just like to do it manually.
Code:
   1,013 x 10^5
x  1,2
   -----
   + 2026
   ------
   1,2156 x 10^5
Long multiplication by 1,2 is not much harder than a calculator.

Likes HazyMan
jbriggs444 said:
Code:
   1,013 x 10^5
x  1,2
   -----
   + 2026
   ------
   1,2156 x 10^5
Long multiplication by 1.2 is not much harder than a calculator.
Thanks.

1. How do I convert 1.2atm to N/m^2?

In order to convert from atmospheres (atm) to Newtons per square meter (N/m^2), you need to use the conversion factor of 1 atm = 101325 N/m^2. Therefore, to convert 1.2atm to N/m^2, you would multiply 1.2 by 101325, resulting in 121590 N/m^2.

2. What is the relationship between atmospheres and Newtons per square meter?

Atmospheres and Newtons per square meter are both units of pressure. Atmospheres are commonly used in everyday situations, while Newtons per square meter are often used in scientific calculations. The conversion factor between the two units is 1 atm = 101325 N/m^2.

3. How do I use the conversion factor to solve for gas work?

To solve for gas work, you need to use the formula W = PΔV, where W is work, P is pressure, and ΔV is change in volume. If you are given pressure in atmospheres, you will need to convert it to N/m^2 using the conversion factor of 1 atm = 101325 N/m^2. Then, you can plug the converted pressure value into the formula to solve for gas work.

4. Can I use a calculator to convert atmospheres to N/m^2?

Yes, you can use a calculator to convert atmospheres to N/m^2. Simply enter the given value in atmospheres and multiply it by 101325 to get the equivalent value in N/m^2.

5. Why do we need to convert from atmospheres to N/m^2 when solving for gas work?

Gas work is typically calculated using the SI unit of pressure, which is Pascal (Pa). Since atmospheres are not an SI unit, they need to be converted to N/m^2, which is equivalent to Pa, in order to properly use the gas work formula. This ensures that the units in the calculation are consistent and accurate.