Converting Btu to J: Troubleshooting Heat Capacity of Water

• Thread starter phrygian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Btu
In summary, The person is struggling with converting Btu to J based on the heat capacity of water. They have attempted to use the equation Btu = C(water) * m(1 lb) * dt(1 F) and have converted 1 lb to 0.454 kg and 1 F to 9/5 K. However, the answer they are getting is 3.42 kJ instead of the expected 1054 J. They question if they should use (5/9) instead and clarify that they thought 1 F = 9/5*C + 32. Another person explains that they need to convert the amount of c in an 'f' as well, using 5/9 as
phrygian

Homework Statement

I am just trying to convert Btu to J based on the heat capacity of water and it is not giving me the right answer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Btu = C(water) * m(1 lb) * dt(1 F)

1 lb = 0.454 kg
1 F = 9/5 K

1 Btu = 4.186 kJ/(kg*K) * .454 kg * (9/5)K = 3.42 kJ < should be 1054 J, what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps (5/9) ?

I thought 1 F = 9/5*C + 32?

You want the amount of energy to heat the water through 1 fahrenheit so it's c->f

I have the heat capacity of water in kJ/(kg*K) so arent I converting 1 fahrenheit degree to K?

You are calculating the energy needed to heat one pound of water through 1 f
So just like you have the amount of kg in a lb (0.454) you also need the amount of c in an 'f' ie 5/9

1. How do I convert Btu to J?

To convert Btu (British thermal units) to J (Joules), you can use the conversion factor of 1 Btu = 1055.06 J. Simply multiply the number of Btu by this conversion factor to get the equivalent value in J.

2. Why is it important to convert Btu to J when troubleshooting heat capacity of water?

Converting Btu to J allows for a more standardized unit of measurement to be used when troubleshooting heat capacity of water. Since Btu is a larger unit, it can be easier to compare values and make accurate calculations when using the smaller unit of J.

3. Can I use an online calculator to convert Btu to J?

Yes, there are many online calculators available that can quickly and accurately convert Btu to J. Simply input the number of Btu and the calculator will automatically provide the equivalent value in J.

4. How do I troubleshoot the heat capacity of water?

To troubleshoot the heat capacity of water, you can use the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of water, c is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature. By measuring these variables and plugging them into the formula, you can determine the heat capacity of water.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when converting Btu to J for troubleshooting heat capacity of water?

One common mistake to avoid is not using the correct conversion factor of 1 Btu = 1055.06 J. Using an incorrect conversion factor can lead to inaccurate calculations and troubleshooting results. It is also important to make sure all units are consistent and to double check all calculations for accuracy.