Converting Charge to Energy - Help Needed!

In summary, the conversation is about converting charge in Coloumb to energy in Joule. The person asking the question is doing an experiment with static electricity and wants to know the energy of the spark for ignition purposes. They mention that they do not know the time for the discharge or charging of the capacitor. The expert suggests using an equation that relates energy stored to capacitance and voltage, and provides a link for further information.
Hi!

Can anybody tell me if there is a way to convert charge (in Coloumb) into energy (Joule). I know It's not just a quick and easy formula, but I would be most glad if anybody is able to help me..

:shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Marte82 said:
Hi!

Can anybody tell me if there is a way to convert charge (in Coloumb) into energy (Joule). I know It's not just a quick and easy formula, but I would be most glad if anybody is able to help me..

:shy:

This conversion isn't possible without knowing that PROCESS this is relevant to. For example, one can do such a conversion for the amount of charge emitted per second from a photocathode that is detected by an anode via the measured photocurrent.

But without more description from you, this is impossible to do.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This conversion isn't possible without knowing that PROCESS this is relevant to. For example, one can do such a conversion for the amount of charge emitted per second from a photocathode that is detected by an anode via the measured photocurrent.

But without more description from you, this is impossible to do.

Zz.

I'm doing an experiment with static electricity; measuring the discharge (in nC) from a charged material by an electrode conected to a capacitor and a oscilloscope. And I want to know how big the energy is(so I can know weather the spark has enough energy to be an ignition source). Unfortunately I don't know the time for the discharge or the charging of the capacitor...

If you know the capacitance, there is an equation relating the energy stored (in Joules) to the capacitance and the voltage. Do you know this equation?

berkeman said:
If you know the capacitance, there is an equation relating the energy stored (in Joules) to the capacitance and the voltage. Do you know this equation?

The capasitor is 100 microFarat. What equation?

Marte82 said:
The capasitor is 100 microFarat. What equation?

This page discusses capacitors in general, and will help you figure out the equation for the stored energy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor

1. How can charge be converted into energy?

Charge can be converted into energy through the process of electromagnetism, where charged particles interact with electric and magnetic fields to produce energy. This process is used in various technologies such as batteries, generators, and solar panels.

2. What is the relationship between charge and energy?

In physics, energy is defined as the ability to do work, and charge is a fundamental property of matter that describes the amount of electric energy within a system. The two are closely related, as the movement of charge can produce or release energy in various forms.

3. Can energy be created from nothing?

No, energy cannot be created or destroyed according to the law of conservation of energy. However, it can be converted from one form to another, such as converting charge into electrical energy.

4. What are the units of charge and energy?

The SI unit for charge is Coulomb (C), while the SI unit for energy is Joule (J). In some cases, other units such as electron-volts (eV) and kilowatt-hours (kWh) may also be used to measure charge and energy.

5. What factors affect the efficiency of converting charge to energy?

The efficiency of converting charge to energy depends on various factors such as the type of material used, the method of conversion, and external factors like temperature and resistance. Other factors like the design and size of the system can also affect the efficiency of the conversion process.

Suggested for: Converting Charge to Energy - Help Needed!

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views