Converting Gaseous Planets Into Matter

• Thread starter Whitestar
  • Start date
I've often wondered what a Type 3 Civilization could do if they had the technology to convert gaseous planets such as: Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, and Uranus into matter. If they harness such energy, what would they use it for? To power up their starships, or perhaps create a solid rock planet for colonization instead? Thoughts anyone?

Whitestar

DaveC426913

Gold Member
Whitestar said:
I've often wondered what a Type 3 Civilization could do if they had the technology to convert gaseous planets such as: Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, and Uranus into matter.
If not matter, what is it exactly that you think these planets are made of?

Whitestar said:
If they harness such energy, what would they use it for? To power up their starships, or perhaps create a solid rock planet for colonization instead? Thoughts anyone?Whitestar
Wouldn't it make more sense to start with 'what they're trying to do' and then ask 'how might they accomplish it'?

Seeing that they're mostly hydrogen, fuel sounds very likely.

DaveC426913

Gold Member
εllipse said:
Seeing that they're mostly hydrogen, fuel sounds very likely.
Why? It's only hydrogen, the most common substance in the universe. I imagine you're thinking of burning it, which is easy, here on oxygen-covered Earth, but there's no oxygen on Jupiter.

I was thinking of nuclear fusion, something a type 3 civilization won't have any problems with.

In fact, a type 3 civilization would be way past the point of using gas giants for fusion.. that'd be more like type 1.

Gir

εllipse said:
I was thinking of nuclear fusion, something a type 3 civilization won't have any problems with.

In fact, a type 3 civilization would be way past the point of using gas giants for fusion.. that'd be more like type 1.
a type 2 would turn a gas giant into a new star if they had already exausted one sun. or I could be completely wrong, who knows :P.

Yes, a type II civilization is one that can harness energy from its solar system. This would include using gas planets in conversion processes.

Yea dont type III's use entire galaxies so do they harvest it star by star or just somehow take the entire galaxy?

DaveC426913

Gold Member
Cladson said:
Yea dont type III's use entire galaxies so do they harvest it star by star or just somehow take the entire galaxy?
It doesn't matter. The definition is merely meant to cover *how much* energy they can (hypothetically) bring to bear.

As a type I civilization, we are (at least theoretically) capable of bringing the resources of an entire planet to bear. It matters not whether that be rock by rock.

Gir

Cladson said:
funny as it may sound, I think the movie men in black had a simple representation of what a type 3 would use. a galaxy in a jar more or less.