Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting Gaseous Planets Into Matter

1. Jun 30, 2005 #1
    I've often wondered what a Type 3 Civilization could do if they had the technology to convert gaseous planets such as: Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, and Uranus into matter. If they harness such energy, what would they use it for? To power up their starships, or perhaps create a solid rock planet for colonization instead? Thoughts anyone?

Whitestar

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2005 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

If not matter, what is it exactly that you think these planets are made of?

Wouldn't it make more sense to start with 'what they're trying to do' and then ask 'how might they accomplish it'?

4. Jun 30, 2005 #3
    Seeing that they're mostly hydrogen, fuel sounds very likely.

5. Jul 1, 2005 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Why? It's only hydrogen, the most common substance in the universe. I imagine you're thinking of burning it, which is easy, here on oxygen-covered Earth, but there's no oxygen on Jupiter.

6. Jul 1, 2005 #5
    I was thinking of nuclear fusion, something a type 3 civilization won't have any problems with.

In fact, a type 3 civilization would be way past the point of using gas giants for fusion.. that'd be more like type 1.

7. Aug 12, 2005 #6

Gir

a type 2 would turn a gas giant into a new star if they had already exausted one sun. or I could be completely wrong, who knows :P.

8. Aug 14, 2005 #7
    Yes, a type II civilization is one that can harness energy from its solar system. This would include using gas planets in conversion processes.

9. Aug 17, 2005 #8
    Yea dont type III's use entire galaxies so do they harvest it star by star or just somehow take the entire galaxy?

10. Aug 18, 2005 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It doesn't matter. The definition is merely meant to cover *how much* energy they can (hypothetically) bring to bear.

As a type I civilization, we are (at least theoretically) capable of bringing the resources of an entire planet to bear. It matters not whether that be rock by rock.

11. Aug 19, 2005 #10

Gir

funny as it may sound, I think the movie men in black had a simple representation of what a type 3 would use. a galaxy in a jar more or less.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?