Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting latitude/longitude to Cartesian coords?

1. Apr 21, 2004 #1
    Does anyone have a quick method to do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2004 #2
    It's just a straight application of the spherical coordinate transformation.

[tex]x = \rho \sin{\theta} \cos{\phi}[/tex]
    [tex]y = \rho \sin{\theta} \sin{\phi}[/tex]
    [tex]z = \rho \cos{\theta}[/tex]

Where [itex]\phi[/itex] is the longitude, [itex]\theta[/itex] is the latitude, and [itex]\rho[/itex] is the radius of the Earth.

cookiemonster

4. Apr 22, 2004 #3
    I believe [tex]z = \rho \cos{\phi}[/tex] and [tex]x = \rho \cos{\theta} \sin{\phi}[/tex] :smile:

5. Apr 23, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Though I suspect that our original poster wanted 2 dimensional coordinates: like a flat map. Of course, you can't do that: no flat map of the world can be an isometric representation of the sphere. You would need to specify how that is to be handled.

6. Apr 23, 2004 #5

uart

Science Advisor

All you're doing there deltabourne is interchanging the values of theta and phi in cookiemonsters definition. Theta is normally used to denote the angle from the positve z axis and with that definition of theta cookiemonsters equations are correct.

7. Apr 26, 2004 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Maybe this is an "America against the rest of the world" thing but every text I've ever seen defines φ to be the angle the straight line from (0,0,0) to the point makes with the positive z axis while θ is the angle the projection of that line onto the xy-plane makes with the positive x-axis.

8. Apr 26, 2004 #7

uart

Science Advisor

Yes it looks like both conventions are in common use unfortunately. Here is what Mathworld has to say about it.

9. Apr 27, 2004 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Aha! So instead of "America against the world", it is "Physicists against Mathematicians"!

10. May 13, 2004 #9
    The 'quick and dirty' method (assuming the Earth is a perfect sphere):

x = longitude*60*1852*cos(latitude)
    y = latitude*60*1852

Latitude and longitude must be in decimal degrees, x and y are in meters.
    The origin of the xy-grid is the intersection of the 0-degree meridian and the equator, where x is positive East and y is positive North.

So, why the 1852? I'm using the (original) definition of a nautical mile here: 1 nautical mile = the length of one arcminute on the equator (hence the 60*1852; I'm converting the lat/lon degrees to lat/lon minutes).

11. Oct 28, 2008 #10
    X = (N+H) cos(phi) cos(lambda)
    Y = (N+H) cos(phi) sin(lambda)
    Z = [N(1-e^2)+H] sin(phi)

I have solved the inverse problem analytically as well as with other better methods.
    This involves solving a complicated quartic eqation. See Vanicek & Krakiwsky, Geodesy.
    There are other less efficient methods online. See Mathworks, e.g.

Ben Palmer

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?