Converting Rotational Work to Linear Motion for a Crossbow

In summary, a screw with a hooked incline could be used to pull the bowstring to full draw, then release it quickly. This would be more efficient than using a piston-like device, and would be less complicated than using a rod with a hook.
Sethodine
I don't know if I'm using the terms properly, since I am no mechanical engineer, but I am attempting to find the best way to convert rotational work from an electric motor to draw a long, high-torque linear stroke, followed by a very fast return stroke.

To clarify my question, I trying to build a mechanism by which to draw a bowstring on a crossbow, then quickly release the bowstring once full-draw as been reached.

A possible solution was posted in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=139122" some years ago, which I found while searching Google. However, I do not believe in thread necromancy, so I thought I would post a new thread with my specific application in mind.

Currently, I'm thinking of some sort of grooved cylinder attached to the motor. A sleeve with followers in the grooves would be pulled by the rotation of the cylinder. Attached to the sleeve would be the bowstring. When the sleeve reaches the end of the cylinder (maximum bowstring draw), the followers would be lead into a new set of grooves which would run nearly straight along the axis of the cylinder. This in turn causes the sleeve to quickly return to the "beginning" of the cycle, spring-assisted by the tension of the bowstring. Ideally, this would result in the bowstring being "released" with enough force to launch a projectile.

The problem is, I don't think this could be accomplished in a single rotation of the cylinder. I would need something more like a screw, but designed in such a way that the sleeve could return quickly once it has reached the end of the screw. I suppose this might be accomplished by using multiple, "staggered" followers, such that the sleeve will always be following the screw until it reaches the right pattern of return-grooves.

Does this approach seem practical?
If not, I would gladly accept suggestions for an alternate approach.

(Please don't discuss the practical application of an automatic crossbow. I'm a tinkerer, how useful a device is does not factor into my judgment of how worthy it is.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

It seems like a waste of energy launching the sleeve along with the arrow.

Couldn't you use a rod with a hook on the end that moves slowly in both directions. It can go forward to hook onto the bowstring, then pull back, then using another kind of actuator, or keep pulling the string over some inclined ramp to unhook it and release it freely.

I was really tired when I first posted this; with a clearer head I can see that my original idea simply wouldn't work (not to mention being far too complicated). However, I think I might be able to come up with a similar mechanism.

Perhaps, rather than a "sleeve", the screw has some sort of hooked incline (like a dull drill bit) which can grab the bowstring and carry it to full draw. Upon reaching the end of the draw, the string simply falls off the screw and into the loaded position behind the bolt (arrow). A cam or peg attached perpendicularly to the end of the screw then fires the triggering mechanism during the next rotation.

I'd considered a piston-like device to simply draw the bowstring using the conventional crossbow draw mechanism (like the hook-and-rod you mentioned), but it seems like maximum draw would require a rather large cam/disc to be spinning perpendicular to the axis of the crossbow. I am afraid that such a cam would make the crossbow nearly impossible to aim (let alone hold comfortably) due to vibration and/or gyroscopic forces. And then you need to incorporate some sort of timing device so that the bow is triggered to fire only during the piston's down-stroke.
If the mechanism was moving slow enough these points wouldn't be so problematic, but I'm hoping to eventually achieve a system which can be scaled up to around 1 round per second.

However, if a screw is used to simultaneously draw and fire the bow, then it could be a rather compact device that could fit right under or above the "barrel" (you know, the plane on which the bolt travels along when the bow is fired). The axis of rotation would be parallel to the crossbow, which might cause some slight twisting in the direction of rotation, but will not effect aim as much. Furthermore, I *think* any gyroscopic twist inflicted on the bolt upon launch would only help to improve the aim of the projectile in flight, somewhat like the rotation of a bullet caused by a rifled barrel.

Hmmm... I think I have a lot to think about. Too much thinking, in fact. It might be time to start tinkering again.

1. How does a crossbow convert rotational work to linear motion?

A crossbow uses a mechanism called a cam system to convert rotational work into linear motion. The cams are attached to the limbs of the crossbow and as they rotate, they pull the string back, storing potential energy. When the string is released, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, propelling the arrow forward.

2. What materials are used to create the cam system for a crossbow?

The cams for a crossbow are typically made from strong and durable materials such as aluminum, steel, or carbon fiber. These materials are able to withstand the high tension and pressure of the crossbow string as it is drawn back and released.

3. How does the shape of the cams affect the power and accuracy of a crossbow?

The shape of the cams can greatly impact the power and accuracy of a crossbow. A cam with a larger diameter will provide more power and a faster arrow speed, while a cam with a smaller diameter will provide more accuracy. The shape of the cams also determines the amount of force required to draw the string back, known as the draw weight.

4. Can the cam system be adjusted for different types of arrows?

Yes, the cam system can be adjusted to accommodate different types of arrows. This is typically done by adjusting the draw weight and the position of the cams. Heavier arrows will require a higher draw weight, while lighter arrows will require a lower draw weight. The position of the cams can also be adjusted to fine-tune the accuracy of the crossbow for specific types of arrows.

5. Are there any maintenance or care tips for the cam system of a crossbow?

It is important to regularly inspect and clean the cam system of a crossbow. This includes checking for any damage or wear and tear, as well as lubricating the cams to ensure smooth rotation. It is also recommended to have the cam system professionally serviced at least once a year to ensure optimal performance.