Converting surface brightness units

In summary: Thank you.In summary, to convert from mag arcsec-2 to solar luminosities per square parsec, you can use the equation L = 10^(0.4*(M_sun - m)), where L is the brightness in solar luminosities per square parsec, M_sun is the absolute magnitude of the Sun (4.83 in the B band), and m is the surface brightness in mag arcsec-2. Simply divide the mag arcsec-2 value by 2.5 and substitute the values into the equation to solve for L. In this case, the resulting value is 0.002 solar luminosities per square parsec.
Nekoteko

Homework Statement

Simply want to know how to convert between mag arcsec-2 to solar luminosities per square parsec.

Homework Equations

b2a3e45debddf607fd18dd98cade2102.png

(from wiki)

The Attempt at a Solution

If the surface brightness S (B band) is 27 mag per square arcseconds, then to solve for the brightness in solar luminosities per sq. pc, it'd just be the absolute magnitude of the Sun in the B band + 21.572 - 2.5log(the value I want) = 27 mag arcsec-2? Cause that doesn't work, haha. I'm terrible at conversions. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

To convert from mag arcsec-2 to solar luminosities per square parsec, you can use the following equation:

L = 10^(0.4*(M_sun - m))

Where L is the brightness in solar luminosities per square parsec, M_sun is the absolute magnitude of the Sun (4.83 in the B band), and m is the surface brightness in mag arcsec-2.

So, in your case, to solve for L, you would use the following steps:

1. Convert the surface brightness from mag arcsec-2 to mag per square arcsecond by dividing by 2.5. In this case, 27 mag arcsec-2 becomes 10.8 mag per square arcsecond.

2. Substitute the values into the equation: L = 10^(0.4*(4.83 - 10.8)) = 0.002 solar luminosities per square parsec.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What are surface brightness units and why are they important in scientific research?

Surface brightness units are used to measure the amount of light emitted per unit area from a celestial object. They are important because they allow scientists to compare the brightness of objects at different distances and to understand their physical properties.

2. How do I convert between different surface brightness units?

To convert between different surface brightness units, you can use the formula SB1 = SB2 + 2.5log(R1/R2)^2, where SB1 and SB2 are the surface brightness values in the two different units, and R1 and R2 are the corresponding radii or distances.

3. What are the most commonly used surface brightness units in astronomy?

The most commonly used surface brightness units in astronomy are magnitudes per square arcsecond (mag/arcsec^2) and counts per square arcsecond (counts/arcsec^2).

4. How do I calculate surface brightness from a given set of data?

To calculate surface brightness from a given set of data, you can use the formula SB = -2.5log(F/A), where SB is the surface brightness, F is the flux or total amount of light, and A is the area of the object being measured.

5. What are some challenges in converting surface brightness units?

One challenge in converting surface brightness units is that different instruments and telescopes may have different sensitivities and resolutions, which can affect the measured values. Additionally, the distance to an object can also impact its measured surface brightness, so conversions may not always be straightforward.