1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting text

1. Jun 20, 2004 #1
    how do you convert a text file into a LaTeX file? thank you soooo much...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. Are you asking how do I compose a paper or article in LaTeX?

- Warren

4. Jun 20, 2004 #3
    i'm teaching myself first year calculus and i wanna write the notes on the computer because of the convience factor....so, i typed out several problems with solutions..

example:
    \[ \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 2} {{[(x^2 + 1)(x^2 + 4x)]}} \]
    \[ = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 2} {{(x^2 + 1)}} \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 2} {{(x^2 + 4x)}} \]
    \[ = {{((2)^2 + 1)}}{{((2)^2 + 4(2))}} \]
    \[ = 60 \]

...now i wanna convert what i have here so i can put it onto an acrobat file...so i have to convert this to LaTex (which i don't know how to do) and then convert that onto acrobat (which i do know how to do...) thanks for your help..

5. Jun 20, 2004 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, download and install a package called MikTeX, if you're on Windows -- http://www.miktex.org/

Then, design a LaTeX document. Use a text editor. Put the following "preamble" in the file:

Code (Text):
    \documentclass{article}
    \begin{document}

...your stuff goes in here...

\end{document}

Open a command prompt and run pdflatex myfile.tex and you'll get myfile.pdf, all ready to go.

- Warren

6. Jun 20, 2004 #5
    ok, i downloaded and installed MikTeX 2.4 and opened it up and it gave me a huge list of things (fonts, programs, ect...) now what? also, you said "use a text editor"....what's that? i'm pretty slow when it comes to computers (as you can surely tell)...thanks again..

7. Jun 20, 2004 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Use any program you'd like that can save plain text files. Notepad is one such editor that comes with Windows, and you can find it under Start -> Programs -> Accessories. If you'd like a more sophisticated editor, I personally prefer a program called TextPad (http://www.textpad.com/), though there are many to choose from.

- Warren

8. Jun 20, 2004 #7
    i must be doing something wrong because it's still not working..

9. Jun 20, 2004 #8
    i have all my work in a 'WordPad' document with the MiKTeX program and the 'click to convert' program running...now what?

10. Jun 20, 2004 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Make sure you tell WordPad to save as plain text. By default, WordPad saves formatting information similar to MS Word.

I don't know what the "click to convert" program is. Please just do as I suggested. Open a DOS window, change to your directory, and type pdflatex myfile.tex.

- Warren

11. Jun 20, 2004 #10

Nec

PI, why not use notepad to create the file and then save it with extention of .tex ?
    Then run the command line type down pdflatex myfile.tex-as said above to change it into a pdf file...

12. Jun 20, 2004 #11
    chroot...you are brilliant...thank you soooo much!! it took me a while...but i finally got it...your patience was and is greatly appreciated...*hand shake and a hug*

13. Jun 20, 2004 #12

Nec

Change the file extention-- it might be YOURFILE.rft or YOURFILE.doc--into YOURFILE.tex

14. Jun 20, 2004 #13

Nec

Hey, I helped you also!

15. Jun 20, 2004 #14

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anytime! LaTeX really is a beautiful piece of work, but it has a pretty steep learning curve. If you have any questions about it, please let me know. :smile:

- Warren

16. Jun 20, 2004 #15
    yeah Nec, you helped too...thanks a bunch..

17. Jun 20, 2004 #16

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That, by itself, is not sufficient to make WordPad save as plain text. Honestly, 3.141.., I'd rather you use NotePad or a more sophisticated editor like TextPad.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?