Converting Wavelength to Nanometers

• Thread starter jcvince17
  • Start date
In summary, converting to nanometers refers to changing a measurement to a smaller unit of length equal to one billionth of a meter. This is important in scientific research and technology as many important processes occur at this scale. To convert, one can use conversion factors such as 1 meter = 1,000,000,000 nanometers. Most commonly used for length, it is possible to convert other types of measurements to nanometers using specific conversion factors. There are also online converters and scientific calculators available to assist with this conversion process.
jcvince17

Homework Statement

i just need to convert 2.8*1014 into nano meters

Homework Equations

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = v / f

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = v / f

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 2.0*108 / 700*10-9 (nanometers)

[tex]\lambda[/tex] = 2.8*1014

i am backwards on my conversion, i am horrible at it.

is it:

A - 2.80000000 nm

or

B - .00000028 nm

it wants my answer to three sig fig's

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing it's a frequency of 2.8^14 hz the OP wants to convert into a wavelegnth.

wavelength * frequency = speed.
so wavelength = c/f = 3e8 m/s / 2.8E14 /s = 1.07e-6m = 1070 e-9m

yes that got the first problem correct.

thanks

1. What does it mean to "convert to nanometers"?

Converting to nanometers refers to the process of changing a measurement from a larger unit, such as meters or millimeters, to a smaller unit of length equal to one billionth of a meter.

2. Why is it important to convert to nanometers?

Nanometers are often used in scientific research and technology because they are the scale at which many important biological and chemical processes occur. Converting to nanometers allows for more precise measurements and calculations in these fields.

3. How do I convert from another unit of length to nanometers?

To convert to nanometers, you can use the following conversion factors: 1 meter = 1,000,000,000 nanometers, 1 millimeter = 1,000,000 nanometers, and 1 micrometer = 1,000 nanometers. Simply multiply the measurement in the original unit by the appropriate conversion factor to get the measurement in nanometers.

4. Can I convert any type of measurement to nanometers?

Most commonly, nanometers are used to measure length. However, it is possible to convert other types of measurements, such as time or energy, to nanometers by using conversion factors specific to those units.

5. Are there any tools or resources available to help with converting to nanometers?

Yes, there are many online converters and conversion charts available to help with converting to nanometers. Additionally, many scientific calculators have the ability to convert between units of length, including nanometers.