Converting ton to kN/m

Hello,

can anyone help me to convert 180 ton to kN/m ?
Which formula can you use to convert this?

Thanks!

Answers and Replies

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You can't convert tons to kN/m. kN/m represents a force distributed over a length, while tons can either be an absolute force (or mass).

e.g., 1 metric ton = 1000 kg, while the ton in imperial units is 2240 pounds force (or 2000 pounds force for the so called short ton).

russ_watters
Mentor
Welcome to PF!

I'm sorry, but those two units are not compatible. You can convert tons to kN (google will tell you how), but there is no distance in the first number to convert to meters.

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Hello,

can anyone help me to convert 180 ton to kN/m ?
Which formula can you use to convert this?

Thanks!
Hi Laurine. Perhaps you could explain why you would like to do this conversion? --- then someone could help by examining the lead up to this question.

Hi Laurine. Perhaps you could explain why you would like to do this conversion? --- then someone could help by examining the lead up to this question.
Hi everyone,
thanks for the reactions!

Well, we need to discribe the forces on a bridge. In one of the formulas, we need the dead load of the deck. I can only find the selfweight in tons, but the formula demands the unit [kN/m].
So I guess it would be correct if I convert tons in kN and than divide this by the total length of the bridge?

Kind regards

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Can you post that formula here?

Can you post that formula here?
I'm sorry for my late anwer, but I've found the answer to my question. Thank you!