Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting ton to kN/m

1. Nov 22, 2014 #1
    Hello,

can anyone help me to convert 180 ton to kN/m ?
    Which formula can you use to convert this?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't convert tons to kN/m. kN/m represents a force distributed over a length, while tons can either be an absolute force (or mass).

e.g., 1 metric ton = 1000 kg, while the ton in imperial units is 2240 pounds force (or 2000 pounds force for the so called short ton).

4. Nov 22, 2014 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

I'm sorry, but those two units are not compatible. You can convert tons to kN (google will tell you how), but there is no distance in the first number to convert to meters.

5. Nov 25, 2014 #4

NascentOxygen

Hi Laurine. Perhaps you could explain why you would like to do this conversion? --- then someone could help by examining the lead up to this question.

6. Nov 25, 2014 #5
    Hi everyone,
    thanks for the reactions!

Well, we need to discribe the forces on a bridge. In one of the formulas, we need the dead load of the deck. I can only find the selfweight in tons, but the formula demands the unit [kN/m].
    So I guess it would be correct if I convert tons in kN and than divide this by the total length of the bridge?

Kind regards

7. Nov 25, 2014 #6

NascentOxygen

Can you post that formula here?

8. Dec 9, 2014 #7
    I'm sorry for my late anwer, but I've found the answer to my question. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook