How to Convert 180 Ton to kN/m?

In summary, the conversation is about converting 180 tons to kN/m and the formula for doing so. However, it is mentioned that these two units are not compatible as kN/m represents force over length while tons can either be a force or mass. The conversation then shifts to the purpose of the conversion, which is to describe the forces on a bridge and a formula that requires the unit [kN/m]. Finally, it is stated that the answer to the question has been found.
Laurine
Hello,

can anyone help me to convert 180 ton to kN/m ?
Which formula can you use to convert this?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can't convert tons to kN/m. kN/m represents a force distributed over a length, while tons can either be an absolute force (or mass).

e.g., 1 metric ton = 1000 kg, while the ton in imperial units is 2240 pounds force (or 2000 pounds force for the so called short ton).

Welcome to PF!

I'm sorry, but those two units are not compatible. You can convert tons to kN (google will tell you how), but there is no distance in the first number to convert to meters.

Laurine said:
Hello,

can anyone help me to convert 180 ton to kN/m ?
Which formula can you use to convert this?

Thanks!
Hi Laurine. Perhaps you could explain why you would like to do this conversion? --- then someone could help by examining the lead up to this question.

NascentOxygen said:
Hi Laurine. Perhaps you could explain why you would like to do this conversion? --- then someone could help by examining the lead up to this question.
Hi everyone,
thanks for the reactions!

Well, we need to discribe the forces on a bridge. In one of the formulas, we need the dead load of the deck. I can only find the selfweight in tons, but the formula demands the unit [kN/m].
So I guess it would be correct if I convert tons in kN and than divide this by the total length of the bridge?

Kind regards

Can you post that formula here?

NascentOxygen said:
Can you post that formula here?
I'm sorry for my late anwer, but I've found the answer to my question. Thank you!

What is the conversion factor for ton to kN/m?

The conversion factor for ton to kN/m is 9.80665. This means that 1 ton is equal to 9.80665 kN/m.

How do I convert tons to kN/m?

To convert tons to kN/m, simply multiply the number of tons by 9.80665. For example, if you have 5 tons, the conversion would be 5 x 9.80665 = 49.03325 kN/m.

Is ton a unit of force or mass?

Ton is a unit of mass. It is commonly used to measure the weight of heavy objects such as vehicles, buildings, and large equipment.

What is kN/m used for?

kN/m (kilonewton per meter) is a unit of force per unit length. It is commonly used to measure the strength or load-bearing capacity of materials, such as in construction or engineering applications.

Can I convert other units to kN/m?

Yes, other units of force per unit length, such as pounds per foot or newtons per millimeter, can be converted to kN/m using appropriate conversion factors. However, it is important to ensure that the units being converted are equivalent in terms of force and length.