1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting uniformly distributed load applied to a surface on an angle to point loads

1. Jan 24, 2013 #1
    rn3znzU.png

If there is a uniformly distributed load due to gravity on a truss, how do I convert this into point forces on the three pin joints on the truss?

I am having trouble trying to work it out as I'm pretty sure there will be both forces in the x and in the y for each of the joints, but I can't work out how to determine this.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2013 #2
    Re: Converting uniformly distributed load applied to a surface on an angle to point l

Have you tried calculating the resultant force of the distributed force (which by the looks of your drawing will be at the middle joint, in the -y direction) and then calculated the forces in each truss due to the resultant force?

Remember, the moment caused by a distributed force can be expressed as a single resultant force applied at a point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook