Converting uniformly distributed load applied to a surface on an angle to point loads

1. [​IMG]

If there is a uniformly distributed load due to gravity on a truss, how do I convert this into point forces on the three pin joints on the truss?

I am having trouble trying to work it out as I'm pretty sure there will be both forces in the x and in the y for each of the joints, but I can't work out how to determine this.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Re: Converting uniformly distributed load applied to a surface on an angle to point l

Have you tried calculating the resultant force of the distributed force (which by the looks of your drawing will be at the middle joint, in the -y direction) and then calculated the forces in each truss due to the resultant force?

Remember, the moment caused by a distributed force can be expressed as a single resultant force applied at a point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?