How can I convert watt-hrs per gallon to watts?

• Thread starter tacojohn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Watts
In summary, watt-hours and watts are units of energy and power, respectively. One watt for one hour is equivalent to a watt-hour. 1 gallon of gasoline contains about 120 million btu of energy and 33.3 kilowatt-hours of energy. To convert power in watts to watt-hours, multiply by the time in hours.
tacojohn
I'm trying to figure out how to convert watt-hrs per gallon to watts. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated!
Thanks. ^_^

Engineering news on Phys.org
watt-hours is a unit of energy. Watts are a unit of power - so one watt for one hour would be a watt-hour

1 gallon of gasoline contains about 120 million btu of energy. 1 kilowatt-hour of energy is equivalent to 3.6 million btu. So 1 gallon of gasoline contains about 33.3 kilowatt-hours of energy.

Well I'm converting a car's power to watts, knowing the mpg at a specific mph and watts-hr per gallon. So I'm slightly confused because if read that you can not change watt-hr to watts?

Can you shed some light on this for me?

mpg and mph gives you gallons/hour = power
If you convert gallons into watt hours then you get power in watts

1. What is the difference between watt-hours and watts?

Watts (W) is a unit of power, which measures the rate at which energy is consumed or produced. Watt-hours (Wh) is a unit of energy, which measures the amount of energy used or produced over time. In other words, watts measure the rate of energy transfer, while watt-hours measure the total energy transferred.

2. How do I convert watt-hours to watts?

To convert watt-hours to watts, divide the watt-hours by the number of hours. This will give you the average power in watts over a specific period of time. For example, if you have 100 watt-hours and want to know the average power over 2 hours, you would divide 100 by 2, resulting in 50 watts.

3. Can watt-hours and watts be used interchangeably?

No, watt-hours and watts cannot be used interchangeably. As mentioned earlier, watts measure the rate of energy transfer, while watt-hours measure the total energy transferred. They are two different units of measurement and cannot be directly converted into one another.

4. Why is it important to convert watt-hours to watts?

Converting watt-hours to watts is important because it allows us to understand the rate at which energy is being consumed or produced. This information is useful in determining the efficiency of a system or appliance, as well as the cost of energy usage.

5. How does the conversion of watt-hours to watts relate to my electricity bill?

Your electricity bill typically shows the amount of energy (in kilowatt-hours) that you have used over a specific period of time. To convert this to watts, you would need to divide the kilowatt-hours by the number of hours in that period. This will give you the average power usage in watts, which can then be used to calculate the cost of your energy usage.