1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convex lenses

1. Feb 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A thin double convex lens of focal length f is broken down into two halves at the axis. The two haves are then combined, as shown in the figure. What will be the focal length for the arrangements?

http://www.meritnation.com/app/webroot/img/shared/content_ck_images/images/Untitled(375).png [Broken]
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For (i), I think that the answer is infinite because any incident ray will either go undeviated or will be laterally displaced - but the combination will not be able to converge it.
    upload_2015-2-10_17-57-20.png
    Is it right?

And, about the second arrangement - I think it must be 2f, but in my book, f/2 has been given as the answer!
    upload_2015-2-10_18-2-55.png

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2015 #2

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your answers look good to me. I think you even realize that f/2 is the correct answer, based upon your drawing...

The combined lens will be more focusing -- i.e. shorter focal length. 2f is a focal length 2X as long. Can that possibly be right, given your picture?

4. Feb 10, 2015 #3
    Ahh! I got it!
    Power is inversely related to focal length. Now, because the combination is "more" converging (more power), its focal length will be less. :headbang:
    I think it's correct now.
    Thanks!
    :oldsmile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted