What is the formula for determining image distance in a convex mirror?

In summary, a convex mirror's image distance is the distance between the object and its image formed by the mirror, measured from the mirror's surface to the image. It is always smaller than the object distance, resulting in a smaller image. The image distance is affected by the radius of curvature, object distance, and object size. It can be calculated using the formula 1/f = 1/o + 1/i, where f is the focal length, o is the object distance, and i is the image distance. The image distance can be negative when the object is located between the mirror's surface and its focal point, resulting in a virtual image that is upright and smaller than the object.
Knfoster

Homework Statement

An object is placed 32.7 cm from the reflecting surface of a convex mirror having a focal length of -10.8 cm. Determine the image distance.

Homework Equations

IDK

The Attempt at a Solution

Could someone please tell me what equation I should use? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Object-image relation:

1/s + 1/s' = 1/f

where

s = object distance
s' = image distance
f = focal length

Thank you!

1. What is a convex mirror's image distance?

A convex mirror's image distance is the distance between the object and its image formed by the mirror. It is measured from the mirror's surface to the image.

2. How is the image distance related to the object distance in a convex mirror?

In a convex mirror, the image distance is always smaller than the object distance. This means that the image formed by a convex mirror will always be smaller than the actual object.

3. What factors affect the image distance in a convex mirror?

The image distance in a convex mirror is affected by the radius of curvature of the mirror, the distance of the object from the mirror, and the size of the object. A larger radius of curvature and a smaller object distance will result in a smaller image distance.

4. How is the image distance calculated in a convex mirror?

The image distance in a convex mirror can be calculated using the formula 1/f = 1/o + 1/i, where f is the focal length of the mirror, o is the object distance, and i is the image distance.

5. Can the image distance be negative in a convex mirror?

Yes, the image distance can be negative in a convex mirror when the object is located between the mirror's surface and its focal point. This results in a virtual image that is upright and smaller than the object.