Convex mirror question

In summary: I'm on the right track.In summary, the student is trying to find out how to draw a ray diagram to find the image position and magnification for an object placed in front of a mirror. They are not sure if they are doing something wrong and would like to see if they are. They have a formula that relates the focal length, image distance, and object distance. They need to plug numbers in to find the magnification.
Tom Petty
I'm really bad at physics and am quite lost on a homework assignment of mine. Any help that I can get would be fantastic, thanks.

Homework Statement

A concave mirror has a radius of curvature of 60 cm. Calculate the image position and magnification of an object placed in front of the mirror at distances of (a) 90 cm and (b) 20 cm. (c) Draw ray diagrams to obtain the image in each case.

Homework Equations

Not sure of any relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually don't know much about this particular subject but in my attempt to draw some ray diagrams I assumed the real image would be magnified as smaller than the object. Also I think that the image is directly behind the lens the same distance as the object is in front of the mirror. So for example for a. the image would be 90 cm behind the lens. I don't really want answers so much as I would like to see if I'm doing something wrong, because I feel that I am.

Physics news on Phys.org
The focal length is one half of the radius. You are given the object distance. You are asked to find the image distance. You have a formula that relates the focal length, the image distance, and the object distance. Plug numbers in.

The magnification is the ratio of the image height to the object height. You have a formula that relates that to the image distance and the object distance. Plug numbers in.

To draw the ray diagram, you have a list of rules for what would happen when rays reflect from the mirror, assuming that each of the incident rays was traveling in a specific direction, such as parallel to the principal axis, or through a focus, etc.

Thank you, though you keep saying "I have the formula", I don't think I do... In any case however, I understand

1. What is a convex mirror?

A convex mirror is a type of mirror that bulges outward, creating a curved surface. It is also known as a diverging mirror because it causes light rays to spread out and diverge.

2. How does a convex mirror work?

A convex mirror reflects light rays in a way that they appear to be coming from a point behind the mirror, called the focal point. This results in a wider field of view, making objects appear smaller and further away than they actually are.

3. What are the uses of convex mirrors?

Convex mirrors have a wide range of uses, including in security and surveillance systems, as rearview mirrors in vehicles, and in stores and warehouses to provide a wider view of the surroundings. They are also commonly used in decorative mirrors.

4. How is the focal point of a convex mirror determined?

The focal point of a convex mirror is determined by its radius of curvature, which is the distance from the center of the mirror to its surface. The closer the focal point is to the mirror, the more the light rays will diverge.

5. What is the difference between a convex and concave mirror?

A convex mirror bulges outward, while a concave mirror curves inward. Convex mirrors create smaller and virtual images, while concave mirrors can create either smaller or larger images, depending on the position of the object relative to the focal point.