Convex Mirror / Virtual Image

In summary, a convex mirror is a spherical mirror with a reflective surface on the outside and a curved shape on the inside. It produces virtual images by reflecting light rays divergently, and differs from a concave mirror in shape and image properties. The size of an object affects its image in a convex mirror by making it appear smaller and further away. Convex mirrors have practical applications in security cameras, car mirrors, and traffic mirrors to provide a wider field of view and improve safety.
matt72lsu

Homework Statement

The virtual image produced by a convex mirror is one-quarter the size of the object.
b) What is the focal length of this mirror?

Homework Equations

1/di = 1/f - 1/do

The Attempt at a Solution

i found di to be -9.3 cm but when i solved for f i keep getting it wrong. Help! (and -9.3 is correct so that's not the problem)

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show your calculations?

i did 1/-9.3 = 1/f - 1/37 (do) then solved for f

1. What is a convex mirror?

A convex mirror is a type of spherical mirror that bulges outward like the back of a spoon. It has a reflective surface on the outside and a hollow curved shape on the inside.

2. How does a convex mirror produce a virtual image?

A convex mirror produces a virtual image by reflecting light rays divergently. This means that the reflected light rays appear to come from a point behind the mirror, creating an image that appears smaller and upright.

3. What is the difference between a convex and a concave mirror?

The main difference between a convex and a concave mirror is their shape. A convex mirror bulges outward, while a concave mirror curves inward. This results in different properties, such as the convex mirror producing only virtual images while a concave mirror can produce both real and virtual images.

4. How does the size of an object affect its image in a convex mirror?

The size of an object affects its image in a convex mirror by making the image appear smaller than the object. This is because the light rays are diverged by the convex mirror, causing the image to appear further away and smaller than the object.

5. What are some practical applications of convex mirrors?

Convex mirrors have a wide range of practical applications. They are commonly used in security cameras, rear-view mirrors in cars, and in store security to provide a wider field of view. They are also used in traffic mirrors to eliminate blind spots and improve safety on roads.