1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convex Polytope closedness

1. Sep 22, 2011 #1

zcd

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that every convex polytope is convex and closed.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] C=\{ \sum_{j=1}^n x_j a^j | x_j \geq 0, \sum_{j=1}^n x_j = 1\}[/tex] is a convex polytope

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've already proven the convexity portion. To prove C is closed, I let [itex]\{ b^N \}_{N=1}^\infty \subseteq C[/itex] and assumed [itex]\lim_{N\to\infty} b^N = b[/itex].
    [itex]b=\sum_{j=1}^n x_j a^j[/itex], so I have to show [itex]\lim_{N\to\infty} x^N = x[/itex].

I started with [itex]x_j \geq 0, \sum_{j=1}^n x_j = 1\ [/itex] means [itex] |x^N| \leq 1[/itex] and the sequence [itex]\{ x^N \}_{N=1}^\infty[/itex] is a bounded sequence. From here, I can use the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem to show that there exists a subsequence that converges. From here, I'm unsure of what to do because the subsequence converges to some value which may or may not be the right value

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2011 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know that the whole sequence converges to b, so every subsequence converges to b as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook