1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convex region

1. Mar 11, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Screen_Shot_2017_03_11_at_5_17_08_PM.png
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Consider S = {(1,1)} and T = {(0,0)}
    Clearly, S and T is convex
    S + T = S and S - T = S
    So both of them are convex.
    So answer is (E)

But i feel that the answer is too simple....and seems that i wrongly interpreted the question ....
    Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

What if you choose ##T=\{(2,2)\}\,##? I assume the statement has to be true for any choice of ##S,T##. And it didn't say, that they have to be convex. More interesting is if ##S,T## are balls (or squares, which are easier to handle in this case) of different radius and centers, what can be said then? Can this be generalized to convex sets with a non-empty interior?

4. Mar 11, 2017 #3
    In the last line of the question, "Which of these is TRUE FOR ALL CONVEX SETS S & T? "

And, even if for only one choice of vertices, S & T both are convex, other options can be eliminated. Right ?

5. Mar 11, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, overlooked. NO NEED TO USE CAPS.
    An example isn't a proof. If you eliminate choices, you have to prove that it can be done without restricting the general case.

6. Mar 11, 2017 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually the question does say "Which of the following is TRUE for all convex sets S and T?". I would suggest that you jump straight to trying to prove E... Might save you some time over looking at lots of a examples.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted