1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convex Set

1. Aug 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The following doesn't come from a textbook, and I am very uncertain whether it is true or false. Suppose that ##B \subseteq \mathbb{C}## is a convex set, and consider the set ##L_B := \{|b|: b \in B \}##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My question is, will ##min~L_B## exist? My thought was that ##B## being convex implied that ##L_B## is convex; but I am unsure whether convexity of ##L_B## is sufficient to conclude that ##min~L_B##. Please refrain from giving me an entire answer, but I would appreciate a few hints.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Think about an open set in ##\mathbb{R}##.

4. Aug 27, 2015 #3
    Ah, a counterexample! For instance, if we have ##B = (0,1)##, then ##L_B = B##, yet ##B## does not have a minimum. What if we stipulate that ##B## must also be compact?

5. Aug 27, 2015 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Does a compact set always have a minimum?

6. Aug 28, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A compact set is both bounded and closed.

7. Aug 28, 2015 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Since a compact set is bounded and closed, the infimum is the minimum, and the minimum exists.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted