1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conveyor Belt Power

1. May 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It's been a while since I've had mechanical physics so I'm simply seeking which formulas will be needed for me to calculate what I need, then I will attempt a solution and post my responses.

My problem is this: I'm trying to figure out what horsepower motor I need to drive a two-pulley conveyor belt model system I am building. The specs of the conveyor are as follows:

Total length of conveyor = 2 feet = 0.6096 meters
    Diameter of both pulleys = 2.5 inches = 0.0635 meters
    Total Mass of objects being conveyed = 0.4536 kilograms
    Velocity of objects being conveyed = 2 feet per 3 seconds = 0.2032 meters per second
    Coefficient of static friction of belt surface = 0.61
    Coefficient of sliding friction of belt surface = 0.47

I realize that I don't present an attempt at solution. I would very much appreciate some help selecting the Relevant Equations needed to arrive at the needed horsepower for my DC motor. A simple outline of the steps needed to calculate this would be appreciated as well, such as which things to calculate first then calculate next.

Thank you very much in advance for any assistance.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2010 #2
    I know nobody responds without an attempted solution so for that I apologize. I have worked all night on this with my physics book trying to remember how to do these types of problems. I have come up with a solution that is attached. This is to the best of my current ability and I would appreciate someone to look it over and give suggestions for improvement.

The point of the problem is trying to calculate an accurate value for horsepower for a motor for a conveyor belt I'm building. All the values are given in the attachment, they have changed slightly from the values in the above post.

Thanks very much for any help!

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook