1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convicting a Defendant

1. Mar 7, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Convicting a Defendant

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evidence concerning the guilt of a defendant in a criminal investigation can be summarized by the value of an exponential random variable X whose mean m depends on whether the defendant is guilty: If innocent, m = 1; if guilty, m = 2. The deciding judge will rule the defendant guilty if X > c for some c.

(a) If the judge wants to be 95 % certain that an innocent man will not be convicted, what should the value of c be?

(b) Using the value of c in (a), what is the probability that a guilty defendant is convicted?

The attempt at a solution
    Concerning (a), is 95 % the probability that an innocent man will not be convicted? In other words, I have to find c such that P{X <= c} = 0.95 right and use m = 1 right?

Concerning (b), all I need to do is find P{X > c} with the c value of (a) and m = 2 right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes to both of your questions.
  4. Mar 8, 2008 #3
    Thanks. I always have trouble interpreting probability questions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?