1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convolution exercise with block diagram and cases

1. Mar 28, 2013 #1
    1. First of all, a block diagram is given where x(t) is the input and y(t) the output.The y(t) is asked when given the h(t) and x(t).We have in parallel h(t) and δ(t-1)*h(t) and those 2 go through a summer (the second one with minus and the first one with a plus) and give y(t).

2. I know from a previous question that x(t) is a rectangular signal with length from -1 to 2.
    And also, h(t)=e^{2-t}u(t-2).

3. i find that y(t)=x(t)*h(t)-x(t)*h(t-1) , cause δ(t-1)*h(t)=h(t-1) (time shift).
    When i have to find first the x(t)*h(t) i get 3 cases and get :
    1.0 for t<1
    2.1-e^{1-t} for t>=1 and t<4
    3.e^{4-t}-e^{1-t} for t>4.

Of course i could do the same for x(t)*h(t-1) and get another 3 cases.
    Here's my main problem : the limits of the 2 convolutions are totally diferrent : should i get a lot of cases for y(t) with all the limits from the 2 convolutions or is a smarter-more accurate way of calculating y(t) ?
    I've been working this for hours and tomorrow i must have it solved with another 2 exercises :(
    Any help would be much appreciated.Thanks in advance !

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?