1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convolution - Image Processing

1. Feb 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]I(x)[/tex] is the intensity of an image after passing through a material which
    blurs each point according to a point spread function given by:

The Fourier transform of [tex]I(x)[/tex] is given by:

[tex]I(k) = \frac{A}{\left( a^{2}+k^{2} \right) \left( b^{2}+k^{2} \right)}[/tex]

Where A is a constant.

(i) Find the Fourier transform [tex]I_{0}^{~}[/tex] of the unblurred image intensity.

(ii) Hence find the original unblurred image intensity [tex]I_{0}x[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]I(x') = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}I_{0}(x)S\left(x'-x\right)dx = \left(I_{0}*S \right)(x')[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]F[I_{0}] = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}\left( \frac{F}{F} \right)[/tex]

(Then can inverse Fourier transform this to get the undistorted image intensity [tex][I_{0}k][/tex])

Calculation of F:

..after some calculations..

[tex] F = \sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}\left(\frac{a}{a^{2}+x^{2}} \right) [/tex]

Calculation of F:

[tex]F = A\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{e^{-ixk}}{\left(a^{2}+k^{2}\right)+\left(b^{2}+k^{2}\right)} dk[/tex]

[tex]F = A\left[\frac{e^{-ixk}}{(-ix)(a^{2}+k^{2})(b^{2}+k^{2})}\right]\right|^{\infty}_{-\infty}[/tex]

[tex]F = A\left[ \frac{2e^{-ix}}{ix(ab)^{2}}\right][/tex]

[tex]F = \left[ \frac{2Ae^{-ix}}{ix(ab)^{2}}\right][/tex]

Therefore can now combine these expressions to get the answer:

[tex]F[I_{0}] = \left( \frac{A\left(iax(ab)^{2}\right)e^{-ix}}{a^{2}+x^{2}} \right)[/tex]

But this looks rather messy, so I assume I've done something wrong somewhere!?!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2010 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure what you are doing here. You are given [itex]I(k)=F[I(x)][/itex], so why are you trying to (inverse?) Fourier transform it and then call the result [itex]F[/itex]?
  4. Feb 26, 2010 #3
    To clarify, for the last part of my attempt I used:

[tex]F[I_{0}] = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}\left( \frac{F}{F} \right)[/tex]

.. confused now where to go with this, not really sure how much of my attempt is correct or vaguely right or indeed just completely useless!?
  5. Feb 26, 2010 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Again, you are already given the Fourier transform of [itex]I(x)[/itex]

[tex]I(k)\equiv F[/tex]
  6. Feb 27, 2010 #5

.. where does this come from? I don't recall it being stated before within this thread.

anyways, so:

[tex]I(k) = F = \left[ \frac{2Ae^{-ix}}{ix(ab)^{2}}\right] [/tex]

..which is the Fourier transform of I(x).
  7. Feb 27, 2010 #6

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you not read my first response?

It certainly looks to me like I said [itex]I(k)=F[I(x)][/itex]

I'm not sure how to make this any clearer. You are told what [itex]I(k)[/itex] is in your problem statement

[tex]I(k) = \frac{A}{\left( a^{2}+k^{2} \right) \left( b^{2}+k^{2} \right)}[/tex]

[itex]I(k)[/itex] and [itex]F[I(x)][/itex] are two different ways of writing the exact same thing; both represent the Fourier transform of [itex]I(x)[/itex].

[tex]F=I(k)=\frac{A}{\left( a^{2}+k^{2} \right) \left( b^{2}+k^{2} \right)}[/tex]

Does this not make sense to you?
  8. Feb 27, 2010 #7

Which is equivelent to stating:

[tex]F[I(x)] = I(k) = \frac{A}{\left( a^{2}+k^{2} \right) \left( b^{2}+k^{2} \right)}[/tex]

Ok.. I do get that now.

So now I need to find Fourier transform [tex]I_{0}[/tex].. Assume I don't just set [tex]k=0[/tex] ?
  9. Feb 27, 2010 #8

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right, so now you use the convolution theorem:

You now know what [itex]F[/itex] is, so if you calculate [itex]F[/itex], you can use the above convolution theorem. There was nothing wrong with this part of your attempt, however, both your original [itex]F[/itex] and your [itex]F[/itex] were incorrect.

You do realize that [itex]F[/itex] is supposed to represent the Fourier transform of [itex]S(x)[/itex], and hence your result should be a function of [itex]k[/itex], not [itex]x[/itex], right?...Clearly, you've done something very wrong in your calculation.

Since you are trying to find the Fourier transform of [itex]S(x)[/itex], a good place to start would be to find [itex]S(x)[/itex]....So,, if [itex]S(x'-x)=e^{-a|x'-x|}[/itex], what is [itex]S(x)[/itex]?.
  10. Feb 27, 2010 #9
    Calculation of F:

[tex]f(x) = e^{-\alpha|x|}[/tex]

[tex]\tilda{f}(k) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)e^{-ikx}dx = \sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}\left(\frac{\alpha^{2}}{\alpha^{2}+k^{2}}\right)[/tex]

.. it was actually meant to be with k not x in the final expression, just noticed it when I looked through my calculations again. Hopefully this is actually the correct method and answer.

Then using the Convolution Formula:

[tex]F[I_{0}] = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}\left( \frac{F}{F} \right) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}\left( \frac{\frac{A}{\left( a^{2}+k^{2} \right) \left( b^{2}+k^{2} \right)}}{\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}\left(\frac{\alpha^{2}}{\alpha^{2}+k^{2}}\right)}\right)[/tex]

[tex]F[I_{0}] = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi}}\left({\frac{A\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}\left(\frac{\alpha^{2}}{\alpha^{2}+k^{2}}\right)}{\left( a^{2}+k^{2} \right) \left( b^{2}+k^{2} \right)}\right)[/tex]

.. which just needs to be simplified.

Any good?!?
  11. Mar 1, 2010 #10

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Shouldn't this be

[tex]S(x) = e^{-a|x|}[/tex]

...where are [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]f(x)[/itex] coming from? [itex]F[/itex] is the Fruier transform of [itex]S(x)[/itex], not [itex]f(x)[/itex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook