Convolution Inequality: Conditions for Equality

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the conditions for equality to hold in the inequality ||f * g||_1 \leq ||f||_1 ||g||_1 for functions f and g in L^1(R). It is shown that equality holds if and only if there is some real function \phi(x) such that e^{i \phi(x+y)} f(x) g(y) \geq 0 holds almost everywhere. When f and g are both almost everywhere non-zero, this implies they need to have linear phases with the same slope. However, this does not hold when they are zero on sets of positive measure. For the case when f is real and g is non-negative, equality holds if the support
StatusX
Homework Helper
Given f,g in L^1(R), I'm given the inequality:

[tex] ||f * g||_1 \leq ||f||_1 ||g||_1[/tex]

And now I'm supposed to derive the conditions for equality to hold. I keep going around in circles. So far, I can show equality holds iff there is some real function [itex]\phi(x)[/itex] such that [itex]e^{i \phi(x+y)} f(x) g(y) \geq 0[/itex] holds almost everywhere, but I can't easily translate this into conditions on f and g. If f and g were both almost everywhere non-zero, this would just say they need to have linear phases with the same slope, but this doesn't help when they are zero on sets of positive measure.

For the case when f is real and g is non-negative, equality holds iff the support of [itex]f^+*g[/itex] and [itex]f^-*g[/itex] don't intersect, where [itex]f^\pm[/itex] are the positive and negative parts of f (I use the fact that convolutions of L^1 functions are continuous). The best I can do with this is say it is equivalent to there being some x such that the support of g(y) intersects both the support of [itex]f^+(x-y)[/itex] and that of [itex]f^-(x-y)[/itex] in sets of positive measure. Is this the best I can do? And how would I extend it to the general case? Like I said, I'm not getting anywhere.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm doing other problems now and I keep coming back to this same related question: when does |f*g(x)|=|f|*|g|(x) hold almost everywhere. This is all I need to know, but I can't figure it out. It seems like I'm overlooking something really simple. Can anyone help me out?

Last edited:

The conditions for equality in the convolution inequality can be derived by considering the properties of convolutions and the properties of L^1 functions. Let's start by considering the case when f and g are both non-negative functions.

First, note that for any non-negative function f and g, the convolution f*g is a non-negative function. This is because the value of the convolution at any point x is given by the integral of f(y)g(x-y) over all y, and since both f and g are non-negative, the integrand is non-negative for all y. Therefore, we can write the convolution inequality as:

||f * g||_1 = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} |f*g(x)| dx \leq \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x)g(x) dx = ||f||_1 ||g||_1

Now, for equality to hold, we need to have |f*g(x)| = f(x)g(x) for almost all x. This means that the integrand in the first integral must be equal to the integrand in the second integral almost everywhere. Since we know that both f and g are non-negative, this means that we must have f(y)g(x-y) = f(x)g(y) for almost all x and y. This is equivalent to saying that there exists a real function \phi(x) such that e^{i\phi(x+y)}f(x)g(y) = f(x)g(y) for almost all x and y.

Now, let's consider the case when f and g are not necessarily non-negative. In this case, we can write f = f^+ - f^- and g = g^+ - g^- where f^+ and g^+ are the positive parts of f and g, and f^- and g^- are the negative parts. We can then rewrite the convolution inequality as:

||f * g||_1 = ||f^+ * g^+ - f^- * g^-||_1 \leq ||f^+ * g^+||_1 + ||f^- * g^-||_1 = ||f^+||_1 ||g^+||_1 + ||f^-||_1 ||g^-||_1 = ||f||_1 ||g||_1

Now, for equality to hold, we need to

1. What is the Convolution Inequality?

The Convolution Inequality is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two functions that are convolved, or combined, together. It states that the integral of the product of two functions is less than or equal to the product of the integrals of each function separately.

2. What are the conditions for equality in the Convolution Inequality?

The conditions for equality in the Convolution Inequality are that the two functions being convolved must be non-negative and that one function must be a scaled version of the other. This means that the functions must have the same shape, but one is stretched or compressed compared to the other.

3. How is the Convolution Inequality used in mathematics?

The Convolution Inequality is used in a variety of mathematical fields, including probability theory, signal processing, and functional analysis. It is often used to prove other mathematical theorems and to solve problems involving convolutions of functions.

4. Can the Convolution Inequality be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Convolution Inequality can be extended to higher dimensions, such as in the case of convolving two functions in three-dimensional space. The concept remains the same, but the integral becomes a multi-dimensional integral.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Convolution Inequality?

The Convolution Inequality has many practical applications, including in image and audio processing, where it is used to smooth out signals and reduce noise. It is also used in probability and statistics to model complex systems and in physics to describe the behavior of physical systems.