1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convolution integral

1. Dec 6, 2006 #1
    Can someone explain convolution to me. I have read three different books and gone to office hours and am not getting the fundamentals.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In what context? Do you mean you don't understand some of the "applications"?

4. Dec 6, 2006 #3
    I'm trying to understand in the context of probability distributions. What the convolution of the sum of two random variables represents.

5. Dec 7, 2006 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh.

I never really took time to ponder about this. The way it was presented to me was that the convolution appeared kind of coincidentally:

We set out to find the density f of Z=X+Y by finding it's repartition function F and then differentiating it. So we proceed from definition

[tex]F_{Z}(z)=P(X+Y<z)=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{z-y}f_X(x)f)Y(y)dxdy=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}F_X(z-y)f_Y(y)dy[/tex]

This is the convolution [itex]F_X[/itex] and [itex]f_Y[/itex]. The density of Z is found simply by differentiating [itex]F_Z[/itex] wrt z and it gives the convolution of [itex]f_X[/itex] and [itex]f_Y[/itex].

There is probably a way to understand something from this and gain some insights about the relation btw the sum of two random variables.

Let me know if you find something interesting.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?