1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convolution integral

1. Mar 5, 2012 #1
    Determine the confolution of f with itself where f is:

f(t) = 1 for ltl<1 and 0 everywhere else

Then deduce that:

-∞ sin2ω/ω2 dω = ∏

Fouriertransform of f gives:

f(ω) = 2/√(2∏) sin(ω)/ω

and using the convolution theorem gives:

f*f = 4/√(2∏) sin2(ω)/ω2

But I'm clueless of what to do from this point. Should I evaluate the convolution integral and equate that to the above?

In that case we have:

f*f = ∫-∞ f(τ)f(t-τ) dτ

But how do I evaluate that? I can see that τ must be between -1 and 1. Thus t must be between -2 and 2? But what does that make the integral look like?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are integrating a step function times a shifted step function where t is the size of the shift. The product is going to be 1 on some interval and 0 off that interval. Draw a picture and try working out say f*f(0), f*f(1), f*f(2)... until it becomes clear what function of t that is. Though for your given problem you only need the value of f*f(0).

And the convolution theorem actually tells you that you take the inverse fourier transform of f(ω)^2 to get the convolution f*f.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook