1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convolution intergral - dumb question

1. Oct 23, 2008 #1
    OK. I understand almost everything I need to know in order to do a convolution problem except how to set up what needs to be integrated. The way my professor does it is:

1) flip the impuse
    2) move h(t) over x(t) - we usually do this in 5 different regions
    3) for each region the bounds have to be chosen and this I can do but how do I figure out what needs to be integrated?

convolution.jpg

for this problem you have
    0<t<(t-1) and the limits of integration are from 0 to t but what needs to be integrated.

I don't know if I'm getting caught up on the math or what but I do know that I'm completly lost with this. If someone could explain it to me in detail I would greatly appreciate it. I have a test tomorrow and don't want to fail it.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2008 #2
    Hi, if the amplitude of the impulse is A, and the slope is line equation is y=mx+b (m is the slope, b is 0), you must integrate A*mx from 0 to t. In this case you would get (A*m*t^2)/2

Try the convolution of two impulses, one with amplitude A and another with B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?