Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convolution Of Step function

1. May 22, 2012 #1
    I am trying to see if I understand the convolution process correctly.
    This is from the solved example of my prof's notes:

x[n] = u[n]
    and h[n] = a-nu[-n] for 0<a<1

As expected the first step was

y[n] = x[n]* h[n]

= Ʃ h[k]x[n-k] -∞<k<∞
    = Ʃ a-ku[-k]u[n-k] -∞<k<∞

From my understanding u[-k] = 0 for all k > 0 so that would give us the upper limit of k to be 0
    And we would also need for n-k > 0 and when we have those conditions we would just then be left with the summation of a^-k since the other 2 would always evaluate to 1 in that interval.

But for the solution the cases considered were when n <= 0 and when n >0 and then the answers were

Ʃ ak -n<k<∞ for the first case (n<=0)
    and Ʃak 0<k<∞

I dont understand how they came to those intervals. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2012 #2
    I think i have it figured out.
    I will post my understanding and then maybe someone can comment on whether I was right.
    My idea of k<0 was right but only if n > 0 which would make the second term u[n-k] always positive also giving us a SUM a^-k and then we flip the summation around cause we change the sign and end up with the answer noted for n>0

for n<0 for n-k >= 0 we need -k >= n or k<= -n
    and then we end up with SUM a^-k and then again flip the limits and end up with the answer noted for n<0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook