1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convolution of two Gaussians

1. May 13, 2008 #1
    I've read on a bunch of websites that the convolution of two gaussians produces another gaussian however I have not seen this integration worked out. I am working on an integral which has a similar form as this convolution so it would be a great help too see. Does anyone know a book or website or wants to type out the answer for me? Thanks a lot.

Nicholi.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2008 #2
    Could you not write out the convolution explicitly (even for two standard gaussians) ?

4. May 13, 2008 #3
    int(exp(-x^2)*exp(-(r-x)^2))dx

there is the limits are +/- infinity

5. May 13, 2008 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can use another method for this:

[tex]\exp\left[ -x^2 \right] \exp\left[ -(r-x)^2 \right] =
    \exp\left[ -2 x^2 + 2 r x - r^2 \right] =
    \exp\left[ -2 (x + r/2)^2 \right] \exp\left[ - r^2 / 2 \right]
    [/tex]
    where the last term does not depend on x and the first one is just another Gaussian, but centered around a different point.

6. May 14, 2008 #5
    Thanks!

7. Nov 22, 2010 #6
    This only shows c) here below.

Another argument, besides direct computation, is by standard properties of Fourier transform:
    a) fourier transform of a gaussian is a gaussian
    b) fourier transform of convolution product = pointwise product of fourier transforms (up to choice of normalisation)
    c) pointwise product of gaussians is gaussian.
    d) inverse fourier transform of a gaussian is gaussian.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?