What is the result of convolving a triangle signal with a delta function signal?

In summary, for part d of the given question, the convolution of the two signals is 1 because the triangular signal, when convolved with the delta functions, results in a constant value of 1 due to the properties of convolution and the characteristics of the signals involved.
stanigator
For the question stated in the pictures attached to this message, for part d of the question, I just can't picture why the convolution of the two signals is 1. Can someone please explain how this would be the case as the triangular signal is sweeping through all the delta functions? Thanks.

Attachments

• CIMG0218.jpg
    CIMG0218.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 768
  • CIMG0219.jpg
    CIMG0219.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,125
Engineering news on Phys.org
stanigator said:
For the question stated in the pictures attached to this message, for part d of the question, I just can't picture why the convolution of the two signals is 1. Can someone please explain how this would be the case as the triangular signal is sweeping through all the delta functions? Thanks.

Without looking at the problem, I will take a wild guess. Convolution is one domain is multiplication in the other. The transform of a delta-train is another delta-train with different spacing. I don't know what the convolution of a triangle is, but I'm guessing it's something close to a sinc function, because a triangle can be thought of as the integral of two box functions which each transform to sinc functions. So now you multiply an impulse-train with something sinc-esque. I'm guessing the zeros of the sinc-esque function will hit the impulse-train everywhere except at the origin, so the result will be a single impulse at 0. Then transform that back and you get a constant.

1. What is the definition of convolution of two signals?

The convolution of two signals is a mathematical operation that combines two signals to produce a third signal. It is used to analyze the relationship between two signals and determine the output of a system when the two signals are combined.

2. How is the convolution operation performed?

The convolution operation is performed by multiplying one signal by the time-reversed and flipped version of the other signal, and then integrating the product over all possible time shifts. This process is repeated for each time shift, and the resulting values are summed to create the convolved signal.

3. What is the significance of convolution in signal processing?

Convolution is a fundamental operation in signal processing that is used in a variety of applications, such as filtering, deconvolution, and correlation. It allows us to analyze the behavior of systems and signals and is essential for understanding and manipulating signals in the time and frequency domains.

4. Can convolution be applied to signals of different types?

Yes, convolution can be applied to signals of different types, such as continuous-time signals, discrete-time signals, and digital signals. However, the signals must be compatible, meaning they must have the same units and be defined over the same domain.

5. How is the convolution operation related to the Fourier transform?

The convolution operation is closely related to the Fourier transform. In fact, convolution in the time domain is equivalent to multiplication in the frequency domain. This relationship allows us to use the Fourier transform to simplify the convolution operation and perform it more efficiently.