1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convolution proof in R^n

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove the following: If [tex]\delta\in L_1(\mathbb{R}^n)[/tex] and [tex]f\in L_p(\mathbb{R}^n)[/tex] then the convolution [tex]\delta * f\in L_p(\mathbb{R}^n)[/tex] with [tex]\lVert \delta * f\rVert_p\leq\lVert\delta\rVert_1\lVert f\rVert_p[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

We use the natural isometry (or isometric isomorphism, if you like) [tex]h\mapsto\lambda_h[/tex] between [tex]L_q[/tex] and [tex]L_p^*[/tex], where [tex]\frac{1}{p}+\frac{1}{q}=1[/tex], and where we define each [tex]\lambda_h[/tex] by [tex]\lambda_h(f)=\int fh[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I can show that [tex]\lVert (\delta * f)h\rVert_1\leq\lVert\delta\rVert_1 \lVert f\rVert_p\lVert h\rVert_q[/tex]. Supposedly I can use this along with the natural isometry between [tex]L_q[/tex] and [tex]L_p^*[/tex] to finish the proof. But I don't see how that natural isometry is applicable.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2012 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I think you need to use here Minkowski inequality theorem, and the fact that dirac-delta measure is invriant under raising its power.

http://www.math.duke.edu/~wka/math204/conv.12.4.pdf
    it's in page 2, but there's a misprint, and the LHS, the aboslute value integrand should be raised to power of p.

4. Jan 22, 2012 #3
    Thanks, I appreciate the link, and indeed that is a very nice proof of the theorem in question. However, I'm looking to finish the particular approach I was given.

Basically, I have to show, using the fact that for all [tex]h\in L_q[/tex] we have

[tex]\lVert (\delta * f)h\rVert_1\leq\lVert\delta\rVert_1 \lVert f\rVert_p\lVert h\rVert_q[/tex]

and also using the natural isometric isomorphism between Lp* and Lq, that the [tex]\delta *f\in L_p[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook