Calculating Convolution Sum for Digital Signal Processing Class

In summary, the convolution operation can be performed on two discrete-time signals as part of a Digital Signal Processing class. However, it is important to realize that step functions are used to limit the summation range for discrete convolutions and transforms.
wirefree
TL;DR Summary
What all does folding a signal entail?
Please see below my attempt to perform the convolution operation on two discrete-time signals as part of my Digital Signal Processing class.

0794916C-1F30-4331-A74D-CF4C5459220B.jpeg
I suspect my folding operation, i.e. flipping one signal about k=0, might be the cause.

Ostensibly the answer of the convolution sum evaluated at n=-2 should be 4/3.

Would appreciate if you can point out my error.

Thank you and Namaste

Engineering news on Phys.org
wirefree said:
two discrete-time signals as part of my Digital Signal Processing class.
Care to share the complete problem statement with us ? Not just a snippet with rather random scribbles and no indication of what is wrapping and what is not, no logic, no punctuation, ... ?

BvU said:
Care to share the complete problem statement with us ?

Thank you for responding.
Hope today has been good one.

My apologies if the problem statement wasn’t ostensible. The two signals are in the first line; flipping, which is one of the steps of discrete-time convolution, occurs in the second.
Problem Statement: Perform convolution sum on the two signals shown in the first line.

Namaste.

wirefree said:
The two signals are in the first line; flipping, which is one of the steps of discrete-time convolution, occurs in the second.
Good :rolleyes: .

So line 1 has two signals. The first being sample(##n##) ##= 2^n [u(-n)]## and the second being ##2^{-n} [u(n+1)]## without further specification of ##u(n)## ?

How can 'flipping' (?) lead to line 2 ?

What is the relation between the third line and the preceding ones ?

And: how do I distinguish beween u, n and k in your handwriting ?

Then: I'm familiar with convolutions like
1573051250102.png

so I suppose your R is the equivalent of ##\tau## ?

## ##

Note that you are doing a discrete-time convolution. Try plotting (e.g., a stem plot) just the two step functions (i.e., u[n]). Look at them visually. One is reversed and the other is time shifted. Then decide which one you will reverse (i.e., flip) for the convolution operation. Do it, and look again visually. That will tell you the summation range that is relevant. Plug everything into the discrete-time convolution equation and evaluate. It is important to realize that step functions are used to limit the summation range for discrete convolutions and transforms. Have fun!

Edit - you will also need some useful expressions. See slide 2 of HERE

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What is a convolution sum in digital signal processing?

A convolution sum is a mathematical operation used to combine two signals in the time domain. It involves multiplying one signal by a time-reversed and shifted version of the other signal, and then summing the results. This process is used to analyze and modify signals in digital signal processing.

2. How is a convolution sum calculated?

A convolution sum is calculated by breaking down the two signals into smaller segments, multiplying them together, and then summing the results. This process is repeated for each segment, and the final result is the sum of all the smaller segment calculations.

3. What is the purpose of calculating a convolution sum?

The purpose of calculating a convolution sum is to analyze and modify signals in digital signal processing. It is used to filter out unwanted noise, enhance certain frequencies, and perform other signal processing operations.

4. What are some applications of convolution sum in digital signal processing?

Convolution sum has many applications in digital signal processing, including audio and image processing, communication systems, and control systems. It is also used in applications such as noise reduction, echo cancellation, and equalization.

5. Are there any limitations to using convolution sum in digital signal processing?

One limitation of convolution sum is that it can be computationally intensive, especially for larger signals. It also assumes that the signals being convolved are time-invariant, which may not always be the case in real-world applications. Additionally, convolution sum may not be suitable for non-linear systems or signals with varying frequencies.