Convolution upper limit help

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the output, y(t), given the input, x(t), and the input response, h(t). The relevant equations for this problem involve using the convolution operation and integrating the product of x(t) and h(t). The question at hand is how to properly write h(t) in the integral, and the solution is to replace t in h(t) with (t-τ) when writing g(t-τ). It is suggested to switch the convolution order for easier computation.
Mr.Tibbs
So here is my problem:
Find the output y(t) given the input x(t) and the input response h(t).

x(t) = e-tu(t)

h(t) = u(t-2)-u(t-4)

Relevant equations:

y(t) = x(t)*h(t) = ∫e-\tau u( \tau )(u(t-\tau-2)-u(t-\tau-4))d\tau

What I don't get:

How do I write h(t) in the integral? I think I'm just spacing this and it's going to be really easy but for the life of me I can't remember. So if I'm wrong in my relevant equations about how to set up h(t) would you mind correcting me?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks right to me. When you want to write g(t-τ), you are replacing t in g(t) with (t-τ).

The integral would be easier to compute by hand if you switched around the convolution so that the pulse stays put.

1. What is the definition of convolution upper limit?

The convolution upper limit refers to the maximum value that can be reached when performing a convolution operation on two functions or signals. It is the point at which the convolution result reaches its peak and starts to decrease.

2. How is the convolution upper limit calculated?

The convolution upper limit is calculated by taking the integral of the product of two functions over a certain range. This integral is then evaluated at the upper limit of the range to determine the maximum value.

3. Why is the convolution upper limit important in signal processing?

The convolution upper limit is important in signal processing as it helps determine the maximum amplitude or value that a signal can reach after being processed through a system. This information is useful in analyzing and designing systems for various applications.

4. Can the convolution upper limit be exceeded?

No, the convolution upper limit cannot be exceeded as it represents the highest possible value that a convolution result can reach. If a signal or function is convolved with another signal, the resulting convolution will always have a maximum value within the upper limit range.

5. How can the convolution upper limit be used to optimize signal processing?

The convolution upper limit can be used to optimize signal processing by setting the upper limit of the range to match the desired maximum value of the output signal. This can help in controlling the magnitude of the output signal and achieving a desired level of amplification or filtering.