Hydrocarbon K: Structure and Carboxylic Acid Product Revealed

• Thread starter tipton12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Synthesis
In summary, K adds one equivalent of H2 upon hydrogenation over a Pt catalyst. When K is oxidized vigorously with hot KMnO4, a single three carbon carboxylic acid is obtained. Give the structures of K and the carboxylic acid.
tipton12
Having trouble with this one; I've tried working backwards from the three carbon carboxylic acid product, but to no avail. Please help! I can not figure out 'K'.

"A hydrocarbon K adds one equivalent of H2 upon hydrogenation over a Pt catalyst. When K is oxidized vigorously with hot KMnO4, a single three carbon carboxylic acid is obtained. Give the structures of K and the carboxylic acid."

This seems simple but K is giving me a lot of grief.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Well, vigorous reaction with hot permanganate is not still enough for pure hydrocarbons, this is an alkene with single double bond, this is okay. Since decarboxylation won't occur with KMnO4, I think the K hydrocarbon has three carbons. The vinylic hydrocarbon [tex]H_3C-CH=CH_2[/tex] may be the structure for K and the corresponding carboxylic acid may be [tex]HOOC-CH=CH_2[/tex]. I think the carboxylic acid should be like this, since it is principally similar with an aromatic alkane, say, toluene, which can also be oxidized with permanganate to the acid.

I may be wrong, so you will have to finish the remaining work by yourself.

Sounds like a symmetrical alkene to me. Probably 3-hexene.

Hmm, does permanganate cleave double bonds to give carboxylic acid? I couldn't remember this one. However, this is logical. I remember ozonolysis to produce ketones or aldehydes, so this sounds okay to me.

EDIT: I looked up my textbook and saw the example with cyclohexene to give adipic acid with hot permanganate. So your assumption is okay, I think.

Last edited:
I'll play around with both ideas and get back to you on my answers. Thank you both for all your help!

Yeah, I think KMnO4 first does a dihydroxylation, much like OsO4, and then cleaves the diol, much like NaIO4 does. The resulting aldehydes are then oxidized to the acids.

sorry i never got back to writing my answer. I waited for it to be graded.
This is what I did and it was marked correct:

K ____H2/Pt___K ____Oxidized___KMnO4/heat___ 3-hexene___H2/Pt___hexane w/carbocation on the 3carbon_____warm KMnO4/-OH___>> HO-C-CH2-CH3
ll
O

Thanks for your help!

i don't know why my answer posted that way, but the =O is supposed to be on the Carbon attached to the -OH.

What is COOH synthesis?

COOH synthesis, also known as carboxylic acid synthesis, is a chemical reaction that involves the formation of a carboxylic acid (COOH) functional group from different starting materials. This process is commonly used in organic chemistry to create a wide range of carboxylic acids, which are important compounds in many industrial and biological processes.

What are the common methods for COOH synthesis?

The most common methods for COOH synthesis include oxidation of aldehydes or alcohols, hydrolysis of esters or amides, and decarboxylation of carboxylic acid derivatives. These reactions can be carried out using different reagents and conditions depending on the specific starting material and desired product.

What are the applications of COOH synthesis?

COOH synthesis has many industrial and biological applications. Carboxylic acids are used in the production of polymers, pharmaceuticals, perfumes, and food additives. They also play important roles in biological processes, such as metabolism and cell signaling.

What are the challenges in COOH synthesis?

One of the main challenges in COOH synthesis is controlling the selectivity of the reaction. This means ensuring that the desired product is formed without any unwanted side reactions. Additionally, some starting materials may be difficult to react, requiring harsh conditions or catalysts to promote the reaction.

What are the safety considerations in COOH synthesis?

Like any chemical reaction, COOH synthesis should be carried out with caution to ensure the safety of the researcher. Some starting materials and reagents may be hazardous, and proper protective equipment should be worn at all times. It is also important to carefully follow the instructions and precautions outlined in the procedure to minimize the risk of accidents or injuries.