Cook a sausage simply by plugging it into mains electric

In summary, the conversation discussed various attempts to test myths and conduct amateur science experiments for curiosity and amusement. One of the experiments involved using an electric sausage and a Barbie doll in a toaster, which resulted in a fire. It was noted that different types of Barbie dolls and clothing can affect the outcome. The conversation also mentioned a failed attempt to use an out of body experience to predict lottery numbers.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
I just watched a video (here: http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Electric-Sausage) in which someone attempts to test the myth that you can cook a sausage simply by plugging it into mains electric.
Have you ever made any attempt to scientifically test a silly myth, or conducted an amature science experiment in your own home simply out of curiosity/for amusement. How did it work out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Barbie/toaster, I had heard this was really dangerous for kids making breakfast.

Take naked Barbie and toaster to middle of driveway. Put Barbie in a normal{med setting} toaster. With in 2 minutes, smoke starts to emerge. With in 4 minutes, small flames. At 6 minutes we had flames 4 feet high.
Notes..Malibu Barbie produced flames in 3 minutes
At no time did the auto pop-up actually fling burning Barbie into the air.
polyester clothing caused a "flash over" effect
Blonds do not burn faster then redheads

Do not try this at home, this was a controlled experiment with a safety crew
{one guy holds a bucket of sand, another the garden hose}

Yes.

I heard that a woman got the winning lotto numbers from an out of body experience.

Well, since I am a skeptic who has some scuccess with lucid dreaming and OBE, I thought I'd test her claim. Took me a few days, finally found myself by the ceiling, demanded the day's lotto picks - got them, bought my ticket -

No luck. Ended up one dollar poorer.

1. Can you really cook a sausage by plugging it into mains electric?

Yes, it is possible to cook a sausage by plugging it into mains electric. This method is called electrothermal cooking and it involves using electrical current to generate heat and cook the food.

2. Is it safe to cook a sausage using this method?

As with any cooking method, it is important to follow safety guidelines and precautions. Make sure to use a sausage specifically designed for electrothermal cooking and always unplug the sausage before consuming it. It is also recommended to use a temperature probe to ensure the sausage is cooked to a safe internal temperature.

3. How long does it take to cook a sausage using mains electric?

The cooking time may vary depending on the type and size of the sausage. Generally, it takes around 10-15 minutes to cook a sausage using mains electric. It is important to monitor the cooking process and adjust the cooking time as needed.

4. Do I need any special equipment to cook a sausage with mains electric?

Yes, you will need an electrothermal cooking device specifically designed for cooking food using mains electric. It is also recommended to use a temperature probe to ensure the sausage is cooked to a safe temperature.

5. Can I cook other types of food using this method?

Yes, you can cook a variety of foods using electrothermal cooking with mains electric, such as hot dogs, vegetables, and even eggs. However, it is important to use foods that are safe to be cooked at high temperatures and follow proper cooking guidelines and precautions.