Are Cooking Fumes Harmful to Your Health?

In summary: Allergens are proteins that can cause an allergic reaction in someone who is susceptible to that protein. In general, cooking won't cause an allergen to become less allergenic--it will just change its form. For example, egg whites will become less allergenic when boiled, but they will still be an allergen.
chirhone
Before today. I was thinking maybe cooking fumes didn't just get to your mouth but pass through your bloodstream, perhaps causing allergy. But when I googled it. I found many alarming articles about it. What is your comment?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1001929417300421
"Mechanism of Lung Cancer Caused by Cooking Fumes Exposure"

This was just a 24 hour study and already there were bioeffects:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2685804/

"Exposure to cooking fumes is abundant both in domestic homes and in professional cooks and entails a possible risk of deleterious health effects. When food is cooked at temperatures up to 300°C, carbohydrates, proteins, and fat are reduced to toxic products, such as aldehydes and alkanoic acids[1-4] which can cause irritation of the airway mucosa[5-8]. Cooking fumes also contains carcinogenic and mutagenic compounds, such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and heterocyclic compounds[1-3,9-13]. Exposure to cooking fumes has also been associated in several studies with an increased risk of respiratory cancer[14-18]. Recently, the International Agency for Research on Cancer has classified emissions from high temperature frying as probably carcinogenic to humans[19]."Do you cook? What is your say on it?

Biology news on Phys.org
I do cook, but mostly boil. For frying or other pan-work, I'm just trying to keep the temperature low (the boiling and smoke point depends on the type of oil) and to prevent the house getting the stink of a fast food 'restaurant' it's usually done with windows open.

Unless you are a cook (as profession) I think a walk in a busy city (with traffic, on a day with some smog) brings more risk than making a decent meal.

I have no proof for that, though.

Likes Klystron, russ_watters and jim mcnamara
Use high smoke point oils for frying, then most of the fume problems are resolved, assuming you know how to cook. Any oil will smoke if you have an empty pan with a dab of oil in it, on a flame for while. And some oils are terrible for frying because they smoke easily. And ruin the taste of food, too.

I don't think you are in North America (I am), so here is my attempt to help.

Generally:
Use refined oils -- they have a higher smoke point than their unrefined cousins -e.g., soybean unrefined vs. soybean refined.

Note this link is edgy, but the data was assembled from USDA databases (now at USDA site FoodCentral)
See the table of oils here, choose oils with smoke points at or above 425 °F (~218°C)
https://theconsciouslife.com/omega-3-6-9-ratio-cooking-oils.htm

--There are lots of lower temperature methods for cooking - this one is interesting: sous vide
https://anovaculinary.com/what-is-sous-vide/

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters, BillTre, pinball1970 and 1 other person
chirhone said:
I was thinking maybe cooking fumes didn't just get to your mouth but pass through your bloodstream, perhaps causing allergy
What causes allergies, or perhaps better, what causes a person to become specifically allergic to one protein and not another, is a question without a complete answer. Some proposals are increased caesarean births, being too clean, decreasing breastfeeding with substitutes, although something such as being lactose intolerant doesn't fall into one of those causing categories and has been known about for centuries.

An allergy causing food doesn't have to be cooked, and producing fumes to initiate a reaction. As said below cooking can have no effect to change the protein responsible, or it may render the protein non-viable in this regard.
If you are thinking of symptoms such as watery eyes in a smoke filled room, then that could be not allergic but an irritation due to small smoke particles. Onions and watery eyes the same thing, except that is more chemical irritation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3834685/
Allergens may be divided into two groups: resistant and non-resistant to heat. The former group of allergens is linked to the order of amino acids in the protein segment. This group includes peanut allergens, cod, milk lactoglobulin, egg white ovalbumin, all of which are resistant to heat and act even after cooking the product. The latter group is associated with the spatial structure of the protein. The impact of high temperature causes changes in the three-dimensional structure of the protein, these allergens, predominantly fruits, vegetables or meat, often lose their sensitization by boiling, while they are still active in raw fruits and vegetables [24].

if you did not already know, you will find this interesting about the immediate and late reactions,
Generally, there are two types of food allergy. The first type is characterized by immediate reaction, which is accompanied by symptoms occurring within a few minutes, or even seconds after consumption of the food, which is anaphylaxis (shock), urticaria, angioneurotic edema (skin swelling). Eggs, nuts, peanuts, fish and shellfish are often foods that often cause this type of allergy. The second type of food allergy is a late reaction, in which the symptoms (fatigue, irritability, depression, hyperactivity, insomnia, headache, poor concentration, paleness, itching limbs, involuntary bedwetting, asthma, colds, indigestion, colic, diarrhea, bloating and skin lesions) appear a few hours, and even a few days after food intake. Foods that cause this type of reaction are milk, chocolate, legumes, citrus and food additives. Because of this delay, it is difficult to determine what is the cause of food allergies [27].
Some of the feelings that a person may have and attribute to being "overtired" ( as that is one of the symptoms ) can in fact be a late reaction to an allergy.

I might as well add this, for food handlers and skin reactions and problems,
https://www.dermnetnz.org/topics/skin-problems-in-food-handlers-and-the-catering-industry/
since it is indirectly related to your question of cooking.

Likes pinball1970
I think any process that produces acrylamide, like frying, will produce volatiles containing it. It should be done in a fume hood!

Likes BillTre and jim mcnamara
Before everyone assumes cooking==bad, our human evolution was affected very positively by cooking.
1. it predigests food
2. kills pathogens and parasites in food
3. it increases bioavailability of many nutrients -
example: the carotenoid lycopene (red in tomatoes, and watermelons) is absorbed far more readily in cooked plants versus raw. Ditto alpha-carotene in carrots. Ranges from ~2% uncooked to over to 90% cooked.

To be fair, boiling leaches out some fraction of vitamin C and some fraction of water soluble B vitamins, too.
High temperatures also degrade vitamin C. But most high temp cooking is used on animal sourced foods.

People cook for good reasons.

Likes russ_watters, Klystron, Rive and 2 others
It has been known for some time that cooking proteins over a flame (direct contact) creates carcinogens. Smoke creates carcinogens. Cooking at a high heat does as well. I stopped eating BBQ, smoked meat & fish and cook my proteins over lower heat now.

Heterocyclic amines (HCAs) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are chemicals formed when muscle meat, including beef, pork, fish, or poultry, is cooked using high-temperature methods, such as pan frying or grilling directly over an open flame (1). In laboratory experiments, HCAs and PAHs have been found to be mutagenic—that is, they cause changes in DNA that may increase the risk of cancer.

HCAs are formed when amino acids (the building blocks of proteins), sugars, and creatine or creatinine (substances found in muscle) react at high temperatures. PAHs are formed when fat and juices from meat grilled directly over a heated surface or open fire drip onto the surface or fire, causing flames and smoke. The smoke contains PAHs that then adhere to the surface of the meat. PAHs can also be formed during other food preparation processes, such as smoking of meats (1).

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/diet/cooked-meats-fact-sheet

Likes chirhone
Evo said:
I stopped eating BBQ

Does that make you live longer? Or does it just seem longer? :rolleyes:

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, BillTre and Evo
Vanadium 50 said:
Does that make you live longer? Or does it just seem longer? :rolleyes:
It just seems longer. :H Like all things tasty, they aren't good for you. Deli meats (I love them) aren't good for you, again, carcinogens, I've cut them out too. And knowing that many ancient people died from (they think) illnesses caused by smoke inhalation from fires needed for cooking, light, and heat. I avoid standing around outdoor fires (many of my neighbors burn their yard waste all summer instead of paying a couple of dollars for yard waste bags for pickup by the county for composting). Sometimes the fires are so large, ashes fall like snow during warm weather and I am forced inside.

Was Tuberculosis Born Out of Fire?
By damaging lungs and bringing people together, fire may have turned a soil microbe into a global pathogen.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/07/a-fiery-origin-for-tuberculosis/492887/

Likes chemisttree
We run the exhaust hood over our range when we sauté or fry.

marcusl said:
We run the exhaust hood over our range when we sauté or fry.
Does your exhaust actually vent to the outside, or like mine, just blows it up toward the inside ceiling?

Rive said:
I do cook, but mostly boil. For frying or other pan-work, I'm just trying to keep the temperature low (the boiling and smoke point depends on the type of oil) and to prevent the house getting the stink of a fast food 'restaurant' it's usually done with windows open.

Unless you are a cook (as profession) I think a walk in a busy city (with traffic, on a day with some smog) brings more risk than making a decent meal.

I have no proof for that, though.
I have a sous vide cooker. You "boil" the food without it touching water. Actually, the temperatures are below boiling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide

received_496386431282269.jpeg

Electric stove put.

received_744209209439172.jpeg

My rented unit above has no provision for exhaust vents. The rectangular window besides it is so tiny. The bigger window is fixed being above 30th floor. The unit is less than 60 sq.mtr. So i won't fry anymore. But how about cooking vegetables? Can the oil cause chemical changes too? What aspect in vegetables cooking is same as in frying? I am thinking one is frying vegetables too?

chirhone said:
View attachment 257511

Electric stove put.

View attachment 257512

My rented unit above has no provision for exhaust vents. The rectangular window besides it is so tiny. The bigger window is fixed being above 30th floor. The unit is less than 60 sq.mtr. So i won't fry anymore. But how about cooking vegetables? Can the oil cause chemical changes too? What aspect in vegetables cooking is same as in frying? I am thinking one is frying vegetables too?
I wouldn't worry, saute the vegetables, that's the healthiest, you don't want to fry the life out of vegetables. I don't even see a stove or oven! Just a tiny sink and then a burner and toaster oven you bought yourself. That's criminal to rent something like that as an apartment, at least in the US!

At least you fixed it up so you could cook. You'll be ok. JUST DON'T BURN ANYTHING!

What is VERY popular here in the US is steamed seafood and vegetables, just buy a steamer insert for a pan or place banana leaves in a bit of simmering water, season and place the seafood and/or vegetables in and cook.

From reading your previous posts, you seem really concerned with air pollutants. Can you buy an air purifier, possibly with a Hepa filter?

Likes russ_watters
Evo said:
I wouldn't worry, saute the vegetables, that's the healthiest, you don't want to fry the life out of vegetables. I don't even see a stove or oven! Just a tiny sink and then a burner and toaster oven you bought yourself. That's criminal to rent something like that as an apartment, at least in the US!

Why is it a criminal? because of lack of exhaust vent?

You didn't see the stove? It's here in blue arrow:

electic stove.jpg

It's an electric stove. It's hot enough to fry any meat.

Here it is cooking fish.

fish cooking.jpg

At least you fixed it up so you could cook. You'll be ok. JUST DON'T BURN ANYTHING!

What is VERY popular here in the US is steamed seafood and vegetables, just buy a steamer insert for a pan or place banana leaves in a bit of simmering water, season and place the seafood and/or vegetables in and cook.

The one on the right of the electric stove is a rice cooker. It's for cooking rice. How does your steamer look like? Also the kitchen is ok without any exhaust vent above the electric stove?

From reading your previous posts, you seem really concerned with air pollutants. Can you buy an air purifier, possibly with a Hepa filter?

I have the most powerful air purifier in the unit with hepa filter. But it's supposed to filter only pm2.5 particulates, and not water vapors or gas.

chirhone said:
So i won't fry anymore.
You are overreacting (again). Frying is not a problem - extreme temperature is. If misused, then that grill-like thing might be more 'dangerous' than your frying pan: while if used correctly then both items can produce tasty and healthy food.

The way you handled air pollution was better. Get a good book about cooking - and a food-thermometer!

Evo said:
I have a sous vide cooker. You "boil" the food without it touching water. Actually, the temperatures are below boiling.
On workdays I'm away from home for 12+ hours a day. Maybe a project for times after retirement o0)

Likes chirhone and Evo
Evo said:
Does your exhaust actually vent to the outside, or like mine, just blows it up toward the inside ceiling?
Yikes! Fix that before you poison yourself - or burn your house down. Then go sue your contractor.

It is a rental apartment... :rolleyes:

The Maillard reaction turns food brown-ish during cooking. Bread crust (wheat) is an example of browning. At the lower end, the reaction starts at ~225-250 °F. The 'standard' oven temp of 350°F (~180°C) is a compromise for speed of browning and cooking throughout.

Non-science and more chef-oriented link:

Other reactions at higher temperatures create acrylamide as a byproduct as @chemisttree pointed out. Steam is water vapor above the boiling point of water. In your kitchen that temperature will be about the boiling point of water for your elevation - ~212 °F (100°C). Steaming does not allow foods to brown, but does not allow acrylamide formation either.

DaveC426913 said:
Yikes! Fix that before you poison yourself - or burn your house down. Then go sue your contractor.
Unfortunately, that is the way most stoves/ovens are ventilated. Go to an appliance store and check it out. I've only lived in 3 homes in my entire life that had actual outdoor venting, all others were just vents installed under overhead cabinets and the air just blew back out into the room, no exit outside.

DUCTLESS RANGE HOOD, DUCTED AND CONVERTIBLE RANGE HOODS
So do you go for a ductless range hood or a ducted range hood? Both types of range hoods have their own pros and cons but your decision should definitely be based on the flexibility of the unit, your kitchen design and most importantly your budget.

On one hand, there is the duct-free range hoods, recirculating or non-vented hoods that are most commonly referred to as ductless range hoods. So, how do ductless range hood works exactly? Instead of exhausting the air into the outdoors through a duct, they recirculate air. Ductless range hoods are self-contained units, using activated carbon or charcoal filters, the air is stripped off of stale odor or stench that comes from cooking several meals for the day. They’re suitable for any type of home, apartment unit or condominium unit, especially those wherein ducts can’t be installed due to roof or building restrictions.

On the other hand, the are ducted hoods. These are commonly installed and used in homes with larger ranges and/or commercial premises. The stale air is vented outdoors through a duct.

https://peachyrooms.com/best-ductless-under-cabinet-range-hoods

Likes russ_watters
Olive oil, flax seed oil for salad dressings, Canola (rape seed oil) for braising, butter or butter oil for soups. We do not fry much.

I ceased all frying activities. And will get used to eating steam food just like American style meals (you also steam your bacon or hamburger meat?)

This is especially when my unit lack any vents.

I just have one question about frying. I am deciding whether to cease the last item I'd fry, a sunny side egg for breakfast. Do you think it can become danagerous too if the oil smoke? Or does oil smoking never occurring in frying sunny side eggs? If there is any danger. I will not try to learn to cook it anymore because I don't have the time to learn or experiment estimating the smoking thresholds of oils.

Also are you familiar with teflon pans? Do you use them too or are the telfon pans fumes dangerous too? This is my friend's with a thermometer (do you think cooking thermometers are accurate)?

20200226_065733.jpg

Or would you rather just use stainless steel pans (even if it has more tendency to stick compared to teflon pans)?

20200226_065811.jpg

Modern non-stick cookware should be safe. Do not use metal utensils or coarse cleaners to avoid scratching the cooking surface. A small drop of cooking oil may help flavor.

Your breakfast fried egg is probably safe. Cook eggs over medium heat to avoid smoke. Many cooks keep a small egg or omelet pan reserved just for eggs. Quick rinse and wipe after cooking your breakfast egg, and you are good to go.

Consider old-fashioned wrought or "cast" iron as an alternate frying pan to teflon, aluminum and stainless steel. Season the metal surface with cooking oil after cleaning.

Last edited:
Likes Evo, chirhone and BillTre
chirhone said:
...do you think cooking thermometers are accurate...
Usually they are fairly accurate for this job.
I would not try them in a lab, though.

chirhone said:
I ceased all frying activities.
You are overdoing this. You should just look up the know-how for safe frying and that's all.

Likes Evo, Klystron and BillTre
How do you differentiate between oil that smokes and normal smoke? Here, is the oil past the smoke point? Are you not supposed to see any kind of smoke when cooking?

Correct. Expect vapor such as steam, but smoke indicates too high a flame or burner setting. Red onions should be sweated or sauteed, not burnt. Garlic is even more sensitive to heat.

chirhone said:
I ceased all frying activities. And will get used to eating steam food just like American style meals (you also steam your bacon or hamburger meat?)
Good lord, no! I'm pretty sure that's illegal in the US too!
chirhone said:
How do you differentiate between oil that smokes and normal smoke? Here, is the oil past the smoke point? Are you not supposed to see any kind of smoke when cooking?
Um...do you know the difference between smoke and fog? If the food isn't brown or black, or there is visible water in the pan, it's fog (condensed water vapor), not smoke. There's no such thing as "normal smoke". Smoke = bad.

My suggestion is you buy yourself an infrared thermometer. That will tell you conclusively if you have a risk of turning your oil or vegetables into smoke. I use mine almost every day.

Last edited:
Likes chirhone
russ_watters said:

Um...do you know the difference between smoke and fog? If the food isn't brown or black, or there is visible water in the pan, it's fog (condensed water vapor), not smoke. There's no such thing as "normal smoke". Smoke = bad.

If you simply put the oil in the pan without food and heat it high, the oil won't produce smoke? So it is the smoke from the burning food that is hazardous?

My suggestion is you buy yourself an infrared thermometer. That will tell you conclusively if you have a risk of turning your oil or vegetables into smoke. I use mine almost every day.

chirhone said:
If you simply put the oil in the pan without food and heat it high, the oil won't produce smoke?
No, of course it will -- that's why it has a "smoke point". The reason to use a thermometer is so you can tell turn down the heat when it reaches 350F/175C instead of just heating it and not knowing its at 500F/250C.

Likes chirhone
russ_watters said:

Here is a thermal camera perspective of it.

received_238853020473305.jpeg

This is the stove.

received_2250142818621056.jpeg

Here is stove and pan

received_878006369308153.jpeg

After just turning it on at low setting.

received_522074491839769.jpeg

At medium to high settings..all coils are engaged.

received_528976564393654.jpeg

In the middle of the pan is a thermal spot. Manual mentions "The THERMO-SPOT turns solid red when the pan is perfectly preheated and ready to cook"

received_559838921295310.jpeg

notice the patterns at the perimeters is gone in the following when the pan is heated enough (ignore the color changes because it was just my camera lighting setting but notice the patterns surrounding it is gone.

received_1078055505926427.jpeg

But notice when the patterns are gone. And I used my thermal camera with emissivity setting of 0.95. The temperature of the pan is 205 degrees C

received_129449211810695.jpeg

And the temperature of the oil is 194 degrees celsius.

received_419000025578289.jpeg

Allow me to ask the following questions based on the above data.

1. What material is used in the pattern at center of pan that can chance color? What is the + and - temperature accuracy when it activates? What temperature it activates?

2. Based on the visible photo of the pan. Is the 0.95 emissivity setting of it ballpark?

3. Notice the temperature of the pan is about 205 degrees celsius when the thermal-spot becomes solid red. I wonder how accurate is the 205 degrees C value.

4. Let's say the pan is really 205 Celsius. What temperature does it bestow to the oil? Or what would become of the temperature of the oil? (also 205 celsius or less?) (I know the thermal camera may not be scanning the oil itself but part of the metal and oil. Right now. I don't have access to a thermometer, only a thermal imager so please share what you think is going on (with regards to emmisivity, the pan temperature and the relationship of the temperature of the pan and oil)).

Thank you!

Attachments

• received_238853020473305.jpeg
    received_238853020473305.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

What are cooking fumes?

Cooking fumes are gases and particles that are released into the air during the cooking process. They are primarily made up of grease, smoke, and steam.

How do cooking fumes affect our health?

Cooking fumes can have both short-term and long-term effects on our health. Short-term exposure can cause irritation to the eyes, nose, and throat, while long-term exposure has been linked to respiratory issues and even cancer.

What are the main sources of cooking fumes?

The main sources of cooking fumes are stovetops, ovens, grills, and deep fryers. Any type of cooking that involves heat and oil can produce fumes.

How can we reduce our exposure to cooking fumes?

There are several ways to reduce exposure to cooking fumes, such as using proper ventilation systems, cooking with lower heat settings, and avoiding burning or charring food. It is also important to regularly clean kitchen surfaces and appliances to prevent buildup of grease and smoke.

Are there any health risks associated with inhaling cooking fumes?

Yes, inhaling cooking fumes can have negative health effects, especially for those with pre-existing respiratory conditions. It is important to take precautions and minimize exposure to these fumes to protect our health.

Back