Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cooking glue

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I went to use one of my roasting tins and found a layer of glue like substance in it, the last time i used it was for roasting potatoes and i used vegetable oil, now i may have forgotten to wash it but surely veg oil does not set like glue, i had a devil of a time cleaning this stuff out it clung to everything, boiling water would not budge it, so what the heck was this stuff?
    I keep the tins in the bottom oven which i never use.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yes, oil baked on can become a glue like substance.

4. Mar 27, 2008 #3
    Don't sniff it.

5. Mar 27, 2008 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Well i never did know that, i will remember to clean my pans in future.

6. Mar 27, 2008 #5
    Maybe someone snuck into your place and used it with superglue to find fingerprints.

7. Mar 27, 2008 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It can happen even if you clean your pans, it is very hard to get rid of.

8. Mar 28, 2008 #7
    Actually it's oxidation, This hardening effect is the same reason why oil is traditionally being used for painting

9. Mar 28, 2008 #8
    Think of your arteries!

10. Mar 28, 2008 #9

wolram

Gold Member

I did, but there are so many things that can kill me i just gave up. just live and enjoy, a few years dread free are worth an eternity.

11. Mar 28, 2008 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, it's the cooked oil that does that (and a quick primer on why one should change their oil in their car before it turns to sludge).

If I can't get it off, I take the opposite approach...if you can't beat it, join it. I just burn on more oil to "season" the pan. :biggrin:

12. Mar 30, 2008 #11
    I think you made linoleum in your pan! If you did this 150 years ago, everyone would have been walking on woolieolieum in their kitchens!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?