Mystery Glue-like Substance in Roasting Tin

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, the glue like substance was probably left over from when the tin was last used to roast potatoes. Boiling water did not work to get it off so the person decided to just add more oil to the pan and cook on more.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I went to use one of my roasting tins and found a layer of glue like substance in it, the last time i used it was for roasting potatoes and i used vegetable oil, now i may have forgotten to wash it but surely veg oil does not set like glue, i had a devil of a time cleaning this stuff out it clung to everything, boiling water would not budge it, so what the heck was this stuff?
I keep the tins in the bottom oven which i never use.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, oil baked on can become a glue like substance.

Don't sniff it.

Evo said:
Yes, oil baked on can become a glue like substance.

Well i never did know that, i will remember to clean my pans in future.

Maybe someone snuck into your place and used it with superglue to find fingerprints.

wolram said:
Well i never did know that, i will remember to clean my pans in future.
It can happen even if you clean your pans, it is very hard to get rid of.

Actually it's oxidation, This hardening effect is the same reason why oil is traditionally being used for painting

Think of your arteries!

glondor said:
Think of your arteries!

I did, but there are so many things that can kill me i just gave up. just live and enjoy, a few years dread free are worth an eternity.

Evo said:
It can happen even if you clean your pans, it is very hard to get rid of.

Yeah, it's the cooked oil that does that (and a quick primer on why one should change their oil in their car before it turns to sludge).

If I can't get it off, I take the opposite approach...if you can't beat it, join it. I just burn on more oil to "season" the pan. :biggrin:

I think you made linoleum in your pan! If you did this 150 years ago, everyone would have been walking on woolieolieum in their kitchens!

1. What is the mystery glue-like substance in the roasting tin?

The mystery glue-like substance in the roasting tin is a sticky, viscous material that has not yet been identified or classified.

2. How did the substance get into the roasting tin?

The exact origin of the substance is still unknown. It is possible that it was accidentally introduced during the roasting process or that it was already present in the ingredients used.

3. Is the substance harmful or toxic?

At this time, the safety and potential toxicity of the substance are still being investigated. It is best to avoid direct contact with the substance until further information is available.

4. Can the substance be removed from the roasting tin?

The substance may be difficult to remove, as it is highly adhesive. It is recommended to use a scraper or other tool to carefully remove as much of the substance as possible before cleaning the tin with hot soapy water.

5. Is there a risk of contamination to the food cooked in the roasting tin?

While it is not yet known what the substance is made of, it is possible that it could contaminate food if it comes into direct contact with it. It is best to discard any food that has come into contact with the substance as a precaution.