Did I Ace the Color Vision Test?

In summary, the conversation is about a color hue test that many people have taken, with varying results. Some found it easy and got a high score, while others struggled and got a lower score. The conversation also discusses factors that may have affected the results, such as test conditions and monitor differences. Many people also shared their personal experiences and techniques for taking the test. Overall, the conversation highlights the subjectivity and difficulty of color perception.
Redbelly98 said:
That's weird, I thought the look-to-the-side trick worked only for night time (non-color) vision. Color receptors are densest in the center of the field of vision ... I think.
It worked for me, I think, because I was sensing the difference in brightness. In each case the tones went from a lighter to darker color. At least it appeared so to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I believe you and Q_Goest. I'm just surprised ... and too lazy to arrange those blocks all over again and check it out for myself :biggrin:

I got a perfect score, though had to tilt the monitor a bit to see the colors correctly. But, I'm also one of those people who can actually see the differences in colors among all those paint chips, when most people just look at them and say, "How many names do they have for one shade of beige?!" :biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:
Personally, I think it is as much a test of bloody-headed persistence as it is of colour acuity...

Really? I didn't think it took that long. Most were pretty easy to line up. Just a couple in the middles would get tough after staring at that row too long, but then I just jumped to the next row, let my eyes reset a bit, and went back and the outliers jumped out pretty quickly.

Moonbear said:
I got a perfect score, though had to tilt the monitor a bit to see the colors correctly. But, I'm also one of those people who can actually see the differences in colors among all those paint chips, when most people just look at them and say, "How many names do they have for one shade of beige?!" :biggrin

What's perfect score?

100, right?

Wrong, guess again...

tribdog said:
100, right?

I got >60.. and I thought I did better than people who got like <10. But seems like perfect is 0

Redbelly98 said:
That's weird, I thought the look-to-the-side trick worked only for night time (non-color) vision. Color receptors are densest in the center of the field of vision ... I think.

Do you really need to know the colour to compare hues? While the colour receptors are densest at the fovea they are not as sensitive as rods.

Kurdt said:
Do you really need to know the colour to compare hues? While the colour receptors are densest at the fovea they are not as sensitive as rods.

Makes sense.

tribdog said:
I took it again and got an 8 and I can't figure out what I got wrong.

Keep trying! I'm sure you'll get a perfect ... er, 100 ... eventually. :rolleyes:

11 and my eyes are aching! If I tried again I would either go blind or get 100.

rootX said:
What's perfect score?

0 wrong...but it just says something like, "Congratulations, you have perfect color vision," without giving a score. It takes some reading beyond that to learn that 0 = a perfect score.

I wonder how it scores though. If you just switch two blocks, is that one wrong or 2 wrong? Can you get only one wrong? Does it add points for how far off that one block is from the correct position?

I do know one thing for certain...I would never paint a house in greenish-pink or pinkish-green. :uhh: :yuck: What a horrendous set of colors to have to start out with.

Kurdt said:
Do you really need to know the colour to compare hues?
Perhaps this is your problem. Hues refer to colors. Tints and shades refer to lighter or darker (i.e., take the same color and add white or black to it). These weren't going from brighter to darker, they were blends of varying proportions of the two colors at either end of the palette provided.

wow, i got a perfect score on the first try.

i do a lot of graphic design on my computer and have even made my own color wheels (so to speak) so i knew i was going to do well. i was just surprised that i was perfect.

He he...104