Are Mosquito Torches the Ultimate Solution for Repelling Bugs?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cool
In summary: This is actually pretty good timing. I just, for the first time in my life, acquired a barbeque a couple of weeks ago. W didn't buy the mosquito torches, so I've been thinking of making a bug zapper. Any member who undertakes the building of high voltage aperatus should post here, with name and address, and keep the forum advised as to their progress, if a progress report is missed i have some lovely obits all ready printed.
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks moderately dangerous. Who's trying this at home?

Oooooooo... Thank you, Woolie. Brings an idea or two to mind... :devil:

ToxicBug said:

I know a couple of people who might want to try this. I'll see if I can interest them in building it.

OMG how fun does that look? I want to try!

This is actually pretty good timing. I just, for the first time in my life, acquired a barbeque a couple of weeks ago. W didn't buy the mosquito torches, so I've been thinking of making a bug zapper. One of these suckers should take care of the magpies too. :biggrin:

W didn't buy the mosquito torches, so I've been thinking of making a bug zapper.
WTF mosquito torches? I got to make me one of those. BURN MOSQUITOS, BURN! Mk's INFERNO!

ToxicBug said:
Don't do too much dangerous stuff at home, but on "take your kids to work day", we often invite the younger ones to play with open power supplies, "which component is the one with the high voltage, little Johnny?".

Any member who undertakes the building of high voltage aperatus should
post here, with name and address, and keep the forum advised as to their
progress, if a progress report is missed i have some lovely obits all ready
printed, if one manages to build a zapper, a kill rate should be posted that
includes insect type or whatever, this will help others to perfect their machines.
I am placing my order soon and intend to fully encapsulate with poting
compound, and use adjustable air gaps, not sure about the capacitors yet
anyone?
Oh, is it safe to adjust air gaps while the circuit is live?

Last edited:
Mk said:
WTF mosquito torches?
Sorry, Mk; it was a misleading term. They're big citronella candles in mocked-up Fiji type bamboo torch housings, just to repel the bugs.

What is "Cool Electrictrickery"?

"Cool electrictrickery" is a term used to describe various techniques and technologies that involve electricity and are considered impressive or interesting.

How does "Cool Electrictrickery" work?

The specific mechanisms and processes of "cool electrictrickery" can vary depending on the technique or technology being used. However, generally it involves manipulating electrical currents, fields, or components to create a desired effect or outcome.

What are some examples of "Cool Electrictrickery"?

There are many different examples of "cool electrictrickery", including but not limited to: electromagnetic levitation, neon lights, Tesla coils, plasma globes, and Jacob's Ladder.

Is "Cool Electrictrickery" safe?

As with any scientific technique or technology, the safety of "cool electrictrickery" depends on how it is used and the precautions taken. It is important to always follow proper safety protocols and guidelines when working with electricity.

Can anyone do "Cool Electrictrickery"?

Some forms of "cool electrictrickery" may require specialized knowledge or equipment to perform, while others may be more accessible to the general public. As with any scientific endeavor, it is important to have a good understanding of the principles and safety precautions involved before attempting any experiments or demonstrations.